HT speaker complement for Khorns and a Denon 3803�

panman

Current system is:

Khorns (1 pair)

Crown IC-150 preamp & DC-30 amp

Im now forced to fill out the system for HT as I just received a Denon 3803 (yes, 6ave.com Thanks to the forum for the pricing info). Im now have the issue of what to do with all those extra speaker outputs & would appreciate any input from the group. Here are the requirements:

Usage (and/or spousal requirements depending on your point of view):

Primary use is HT, secondary use is classical music (spouse hates classical so I don't get to play it much)

Im in the early 50s and my wife is in the early 60s

Wife hates loud

Our 8 year old and I like moderate sound levels

Solution has to be palatable to both

Room layout:

Room dimensions: 16 X 26

TV centered on 16 wall

One 26 wall mostly double hung windows

Other 26 wall mostly wall with assorted doorways

8 ceilings and hardwood floor with area rug in front of TV

Sofa 2/3's of the way back

Budget requirements: $1,000-$2,000

Klipsch recommended via telephone:

Add one RC-7, a pair of RS-7s & an RSW-15

Although budget allows for the RC/RS-7, would I be disappointed with the RC/RS-25/35 as a more cost effective solution? Also cant justify the cost of the RSW-15 and would be interested in more cost effective solutions there. Thanks!

Go used, young man, go used. You don't say how large the teevee is, so I'm just throwing ideas in the dark. If you can fit it, a LaScala or Belle would be the perfect center speaker. Barring that, consider a Heresy for your center, as well as your surrounds. I think it would match the tonal quality of your K-Horns better than the new Reference series.

DD

I just started my theatre myself. I just purchased a single La Scala to compliment my K-Horns and let me tell you...WHOA..Of course I noticed a huge differnce from a KSC C-1 center that I previously had. I took me a while to come across, one but well worth the wait. A Heresey, Belle, La Scala or Cornwall but compliment your K-Horns nicely. Again, I am the NEWBIE here but have heard some noise in the past.

Denon 4800

(2)DBX 3BX-DS

DBX 120X-DS

DBX 14/10 Computerized EQ

DBX 400XG-Program Route Selector

K-Horns fronts

La Scala center

Heresey II rear

Velodyne FS-1800

DD: TV is a 38" You couldn't appreciate the significance of your post. I have, in my storage room and gathering dust, 2 LaScala's that I'm storing for a friend. He has no problem with my using them. When I asked for spousal permission for using one as the center... Enough said. That does raise a good point in that I never provided a rebuttal with the economic advantage of using one of them. Big box next to TV vs $750 initial savings... I'll have to try that. Heresy's for rears... Interesting thought. Thanks!

Ron

DD:

I'm doomed.

1) Wife likes TV low to the ground. Current tube is a Sony WEGA 36" that's sitting on the floor. The most lift I could hope for is about 12". Clearly not possible with LaScalas. On top maybe but there are aesthetic and structural issues that must be dealt with neither of which could be solved to her liking...

2) A good family friend has Bose and based on some discussions yesterday, her expectation is for those "little" speakers up on the wall.

Ron

Well Ron, you are in abit of a jam.

I spent several years of tinkering to get my music/HT configuration compromise to be as pleasant for music as HT. I ran through many variations and many trials.

My end result was an equivalent of 'the same' all around, with a primary focus on the mids and highs. Unfortunately (for you and your spousal approval), that may prove a bit much for you. Regardless, while some configs worked out OK, there was no comparison (in the end) to the results of the same all around. Whether music or HT I now smile when listening.

Some observations:

1. When I added my homebrew Heresy center the whole HT front channels experience finally became that 'seamless' experience I had heard others talk about. This a fact based observation - it just plain works.

2. While engineering a new side speaker solution (Heresy in the ceiling), I replaced my old rear surrounds with some Bose for grins - Another fact based observation - the tonal mismatch is not a livable compromise. It is flat out irritating and impossible to get the benefit of channel level room SPL balancing that your new reciever offers.

3. Not having same all around, I will recommend looking at a very good center as a start and neutral sides (with center being your more important in the initial purchase). A reasonable high efficiency center is a good start (I had best results with an Acoustic Research AR2C). The efficiencies of the sides can be managed quite fairly with yor reciever.

4. Our folks at Klipsh offer some good stuff. If not the same all around, then I would have no problem trusting their advice on new Klipsch.

Good Luck

mbalmr: Guess one get's used to it. Our old 19" was at eye level. When we got the 38" WEGA, it ended up on the floor and my wife liked it there.

With respect to your layout, is the La Scala on horizonal or vertical? Seems like vertical would place the TV too high and also provide an inadequate base for the TV.

I have mine at an upright(vertical) position. And yes, it is not an appropiate stand either. This is just temporary though, I have been working on this for a good few months. I will send some pics to you later so that you may see the set-up. Waiting for the woodman to finish the custom biult entertainment center. We are very fortunate here on the border in finding cheap quality craftsmem.

ssh and mbalmr:

Vertical is clearly the preferable orientation. I think I'm going to have a discussion with the boss and understand what the ground rules are. I think any decisions are on hold until that happens. I hope I don't find the new setup relegated to the basement....

mbalmr: Pics sound interesting. Sounds like a bit of a teeter totter...

Thanks all!

Ron