Analog inputs and analog passthrough

drobo1

I am out of the HT scene but wouldn't mind getting back in cheap with an HT receiver. One requirement for me is at least six channel analog inputs and the ability to pass this analog signal to the speaker outputs without any more AD/DA conversion. This is important for high resolution audio like SACD and I have a DVD with it's own DD and DTS decoders. Furthermore, I seem to be allergic to Redbook CD sound, so the less conversion the better.

drobo

Drobo - If you are looking for a receiver that has an analog bypass, I believe the Denon 3300/3801 has that feature, where analog inputs bypass the DACs altogether. It also has 8-channel input. Other models in their lineup may also have that feature, but I don't know for sure.

Doug

Thanks DD2,

It's difficult to tell what's going on in these HT receivers once an analog input has been delivered. Several have analog inputs but I can't tell from their spec sheets whether they are degrading the analog signal by digitizing it again. This ddddddigititus is driving me insane.

drobo

I have to correct my earlier post. The Denon 3300 will pass analog stereo directly from the input jacks to the speaker posts without any A/D or D/A conversion. However, that is only with two channels, not 5.1. There is also a comment in the "white paper" which says "A parallel bass management circuit provides high pass/low pass filtering for the main left and right speakers and the subwoofer, so that the analog signals appearing at the left and right speaker jacks remain in analog form from the 3300's input jacks all the way through to the outputs when the ANALOG button is selected on the remote." I read that to mean that it will do bass management on the front left/right channels without converting them to digital. If so, that's pretty cool!

Doug