Receiver's Mystery Ports

Krillian Hex

I have a question about these ports on a receiver i'm looking to buy. I have these plugs on my old (but awesome) carver amplifer/receiver unit. And i have some understanding in electronics with triggers and whatnot. But this still puzzles me.

Here is a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver. I circled the 2 things that i wasnt sure about. I know about triggers, but how would this benfit me audio-wise? And then there is that other port in the bottom left. What the hell is that?

Sorry about the image size, just wanted it to be clear so i can get a good answer...plus, its that size on their site.

sur.jpg

You can also use the 12 Volt Trigger for things such as a Motorized Screen for a front projector. When you turn on the receiver, your screen automatically drops from the ceiling.

Also, yes amps do have their own power switch, but in the case of the sunfire, it is a small switch on the back of the amp. The trigger would just automate the process.

Does that mean that you leave switch in the off position and the trigger will power on the amp? I would think this would damage the unit if its a constant voltage running...but then again, i was the guy who blew up all his circuits in class trying to figure out when end or pin is VCC/VDC and which is GND. Luckily, this doesnt happen anymore because im extremely careful with stuff that i purchase.

Just curious, do anyone own the Sunfire receiver or amp? I am in love with carvers sound and power and hope that it is migrated into the sunfire name. I shouldnt even be saying that in a klipsch forum. Sorry, but hey, i do love the klipsch speakers and those Klipschorns are pure bliss for the ear.

No sure about all set-ups, but mine works this way: you turn on the Amp (manual button on the unit) and activate the 12v trigger input. You connect this trigger to the port you noted in the drawing. In this manner, the amp comes on when it get's the signal - which happens when you turn on your processor (or receiver). When you turn off the processor / receiver, the signal stops and the Amp goes into a stand-by mode. Still draws some current, but it's minimal.