Humming SW 12

Angel Hernandez

I have a dedicated 2-ch set-up with an SW 12 that was purchased in 94'. I generally leave all my components on 24/7. Of course whenever there is a thunder storm in the immediate area it all gets switched off and disconnected. Tucson is known for its summer monsoons. About 2 years ago the sub developed a hum when switched on after being off for more than 30 minutes. It slowly goes away but only after toggling the power switch a few times. Its hooked-up to an Audio Alchemy DLC with a 3m pair of StraightWire and an HTS-2000 surge protector. Any ideas on the possible source of the hum?

component list:

2 Carver Silver 7 T amps

NAD 5000 cd

Adcom GCD 600

NHT Super Zeros

Mission 731s

Maggie MMGs

Two thoughts.

1- The original SW series was prone to hum. Klipsch brought in a well-respected EE to do the redesign for the Series II versions. That helped a lot. If yours is a series one, then the hum may be inherent in the design. Make sure to use a three to two prong ac adaptor and other ground loop killing tricks.

2- If the hum started when you made ANY system changes, then it may well be ground loop and you can work to trouble shoot it. OTOH, your description suggests you may have a component which is breaking down over time. Get that sub to a decent fixit shop for a check out.

• 2 weeks later...