Sony KP51WS510 -vs- Hitachi 51F500 -vs- Toshiba 51HX83

formica

I'm helping a family member purchase a RPTV... and they would like to have the following characteristics:

- 51" CRT RPTV

- model costing 1750$US to 2100$US

- 16:9 including 720p/1080i

There are quite a few sets in this range... and I've looked-at/suggested the Sony KP51WS510, Hitachi 51F500, and the Toshiba 51HX83 (the Sony is the least expensive and the Toshiba the most). Anyone have experience / preferences with one or several of these?

Thanks...

Rob

PS: In case anyone is wondering, I haven't seen any Mitsubishi sets currently available locally (Canada). I'm currently leaning towards the Sony...

I went through this same thing awhile back but it was the 65" RPTVs. Sony was once upon a time the best TV on the market. However in the last 5-7 years they have gone to crap and are a shadow of what they used to be.

The Hitachi is the best out there now from what I have seen and read, but their drawback is their stretch mode is not that great and they are more expensive. I went with Toshiba because they have the best stretch mode out there and the picture quality of the Hitachi over the Toshiba was not great enough for the price difference. To me the Toshiba was the best choice. It was not the best but it is a fantastic picture and for the price it was a no brainer. Once I have it calibrated by a pro it will look way better than the Hitachi and still be hundreds less (from what I am told).

For me it came down to the Mitsubishi and the Toshiba. The Mitsu had a better-looking cabinet but I kept reading about their problem with red push. After about a month we went with the Tosh and to be honest, once you get it in your home and calibrated, I think almost everyone will be happy with whatever choice. The difference is small I think, the only thing I want to change is my clear protective screen. I think the tented cover helps a lot with glare. I have a nice lighting system that hangs over the seating position so it's not a problem at night, but there is some glare during the day that could be taken care of with the smoke tinted cover.

So treat this purchase just like speakers or anything else of this magnitude. Spending $1,700-$2,500 or whatever the range is - is not chump change. Go watch all the TVs, get an idea of what you want and then go watch them again. Don't jump at the first thing you see and don't let a good salesman talk you into buying until you have weighed all options and explored all horizons~