I have a dilema~

Vital

What do you guys think the new Klipsch THX Ultra home theater is going to run? I have been holding off on buying the RC-7 as my center and just using my RF-7s as a 2 or 4-channel setup for music. I love the look of the new Premier so maybe one day do 2 front mains as Premier and RF-7s as backs and run 4 channel stereo mode or two 2 channels at once. Anyway I'm just brainstorming and looking for advice.

What is everyones opinion on the new THX Ultra and how will it compare to an RF-7/RC-7 HT. I know no one has heard it I'm just looking for some educated guesses from some of the wise men here.

So all of my rambling aside, should I buy the RC-7 center or hold off and wait to hear the Ultra?

Well...if I was you I'd be tempted to get the RC-7 for now to use with the RF-7's you already have and enjoy. Hopefully you will find one for a good price and won't feel so bad if you have to sell it later. I don't know if the RF-7's will even be timbre matched with the Premiere series. Maybe someone else on here does. If not, alot of us may end up starting over. Sorry if I wasn't much help.

----------------

On 1/30/2004 1:24:18 AM Vital wrote:

So all of my rambling aside, should I buy the RC-7 center or hold off and wait to hear the Ultra?

----------------

If you are talking about the THX Ultra set, no those will not be timber-matched to the Reference 7s. From what I've seen, those are a complete package in of themselves and are not part of the Reference line. Sounds like those are going to be geared towards the custom installer market.

The Reference Premier is something else entirely, and it does not even look like they even started working on a center channel for that. From what I understand, that Premier speaker shown at the CES show was more of a "proof of concept" than an actual shipping product, much like auto manufacturers make "concept cars" to show off some new technology. Notice there was only one - it appears they did not even have a pair of them, from what I can tell from seeing the pictures. The actual Reference Premiers that do ship could very well be something entirely different (I hope they at least maintain the general styling - that was a gorgeous looking speaker). I highly doubt we'll be seeing the Reference Premier for at least a couple of years. I could be wrong, and would not mind if somebody from Klipsch can chime in on this.

To cut to the chase - just go ahead and get the RC-7 center speaker and be done with it. Don't hold your breath waiting for the Reference Premiers to come out anytime in the immediate future.

Another thought... albeit the more expensive option... if you want to wait for the THX package. Get yourself a nice tube integrated amp and run the RF-7's in 2-channel stereo off of that. Run them 2-channel HT off of the H/K for the time being. When the THX system is available, buy thatmand hook everything up to the H/K and leave the RF-7's hooked to the tube amp all the time. Then you'll have a great 2-channel rig and a THX-certified home theater.

BTW, the THX-certified stuff isn't made to match anything but the other THX-certified stuff in the system. ALL of the 5 (or 6, ot 7...) speakers are made to be the same and match exactly... as well as the subs (dual subs recommended). I doubt they would match the RF-7's, but may sound close.