Set Speakers to small with Yamaha & Klipsch R

I found an interesting thread (at http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003524.html) talking about setting all the speakers to SMALL and letting the sub get all the low frequency signals. I belive this is an excellent idea and like to have my system setup this way. But I do not know if I can do this with my system without suffering some frequency loss.

My receiver is Yamaha RX-V1000, speakers are RF-3, RC-3, RS-3, and the sub is KSW-15.

The Yamaha has a crossover at 90Hz. So if I set the speakers to small, all the frequency < 90Hz should go to the sub.

The sub specification says it has the FREQUENCY RESPONSE between 24Hz-90Hz±3dB. So both the receiver and the sub cut the frequency right at 90Hz. Should this be a concern? Am I going to get a hole around 90Hz?

BTW, what does "Continuously variable from 40-120Hz, 24dB/octave slope above 120Hz" mean in the spec for "LOW PASS CROSSOVER" of the sub?

Thanks for any help.

fg,

"Continuously variable from 40-120Hz, 24dB/octave slope above 120Hz" means that you can start the sub's rolloff anywhere between 40 and 120 with your frequence knob. Do not know how steep the rolling off is between 40 and 120.

But regardless of where you have your rolloff control set, it will start rolling off at 24 db/octave at 120 Hz, which is a pretty fast reduction in highs. Highs should not be going into the sub.

It is kind of like a hill. A 6 db/octave would be a gently hill from top to bottom. 12 db/octave would be steeper, and 24 db/octave would be more like the side of a steep mountain. It is how they specify just how fast things are being controlled. In this case, reducing the highs which are trying to get into the sub.

Hope this helps. cwm35.gif

------------------

John P

St Paul, MN

Fg,

I have basically the same system with the exception of the sub and rears. (RX-V1000, RF-3, RC-3, SS-1, Sony sub)

I think it is very much recommended to put the center and rears to small. The RF-3 can produce a great range so they are better set at large. I think you will get a better sound from the center and rears set to small. The answer really is this...try it both ways. Which ever you like stick with...there are no wrong answers.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear