Cracked Woofer Cone

MasterT

I was listening to music 2-Channel on my RF-5's the other day at loud levels but by no means

with distortion or over-driving my recievers amp. I don't abuse my speakers. Anyway I noticed

that one of the woofer cones looked distorted and wrinkled. Upon closer inspection I noticed

that the aluminum cone was actually cracked. What's up with that? Has anyone else heard of this

problem. I attached a pic. Thought you might want to see. I thought it was really strange.

post-13708-13819251979116_thumb.jpg

holy crap! that puppy must have went past the xmax a few times. appears as if the surround was pulling the woofer back into the basket and while doing it, it wrinkled the cone. you must of really been pushing them. i think there may have been a problem before hand though that need a little nudge to break it down. i would call klipsch customer service and send them a pic. is it still under warranty?

That is not what I would expect of damage from overdriving. I notice that your crack is at about "10 o'clock". At about "11;30" I see what appears to be a dent. A dent in the cone will cause stresses that could cause a crack to develop, and propagate. At higher levels pressure from inside the cabinet will "Whistle" through that crack and change the characteristics of the port. Small change, but noticable, and it will get worse. Get the driver replaced.

Itsmyforte, I've got my speakers set to "small" and I've played them at that level many times

before and they never sound distorted so I did'nt think I was pushing them that hard but maybe

I was. Mr.P, I never noticed it dented before, but it is possible. What you guys say

makes sense. I assumed the denting happened after it cracked and the air pressure blowing

through distorted the aluminum. I am getting it replaced, I just thought it was strange and

wondered if it's happened to anyone else. They are still under warranty.