Which Rega Planet for Cornwalls?

Proko03

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's more experience here than I but the original is very popular for Klipsch on this site. My Rega dealer felt it was warm to the point of being rolled-off. He was pushing the more neutral 2000 (of course that is what he had to sell).

The other ideas I've been considering are:

1) modification to a Sony SACD unit

2) external DAC (this too could be modified).

Emperical Audio's mod of the PT P3A is interesting: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=7923

Of course a single box solution seems appealing.

There is a ton written on various Regas here in the two channel forum.

If opting between those three I would go the cheapest option, the original Planet bought USED from a reputable source. Audiogon is ok if you can exchange enough email or phone conversation with the previous owner to feel comfortable that it has been taken care of. This player CAN suffer from wandering children's hands that are too curious. Getting a pristine unit with original BOX and manual is not hard to find and the $300-325 area puts this unit as a GREAT bargain. I would rate it one of the best used deals right now since it makes an EXCELLENT transport as well (besides being very musical and natural sounding).

I did a careful comparison with one of the other great used finds, the Tjoeb 99. I thought the Planet was the better player but either can offer quality playback in the right system.

I will say the Planet is starting to get a bit long in years now so care much be taken in a purchase. But it is VERY well-made. It rewards a very involving system and with some care in setup, can really bring music.

I have lived with two Planets. I dont find them rolled off at all but they DO require careful matching of IC. I would avoid any of the IC from MIT which I did not find a good match. The network-laden Transparent wire is better but I still find more simple wires to be a more apt match.

Why the hoopla about the Planet? No, it does NOT SOUND EXACTLY LIKE VINYL, then again, neither does something like the SACD Sony SCD-777es. What it does do is sound amazingly natural and cohessive. I think many are actually used to some of the tipped up top end that much of digital brings to the table. This is where the SACD Sony 777es delivers as well; this player has NO digital nasties at all (I just am still unconvinced at how engaging it is - surely HEADS above cheap SACD).

The reason why I might give pause with something like the Jupiter is once you get in this price range, you are talking some SERIOUS competition and the choices get more hazy. But at $300-350, the Rega Planet is an amazing deal and sonically FAR FAR above what this price would indicate. I preferred the Planet to many 24 Bit machines I auditioned and to a sampling for low cost SACD options. They did an excellent custom mod of the Burr Brown 18Bit DAC and as stated above, the transport, a modified Sony, is excellent.

If getting in the 1000 range or buying new, some serious auditioning of the your quality local offerings is advisable.

kh

I would not even consider buying an old used CD player. It'd be comparable to buying a car with 200,000 miles already on it. CD players don't last forever unless you're lucky. You have been *extremely* lucky to have a player from the 1980s run until now.

I don't think the analogy is over the top. I've heard of some crazy low estimates on the life of a laser mechanism. If these low estimates were correct, we'd all be getting new machines every year. Nevertheless, a CD player is not going to have the lifetime of an amp, for instance. They are built to last just so long. Why gamble about how many hours are left on a very heavily used unit?

Obviously, buying anything with a motor or moving parts is more problematic than either an amp or speaker purchase. As I mentioned above, I would NOT buy a used player or turntable without some serious exchange of info with the owner. You see my Rega Planet? It was bought USED believe it or not. And that was quite a while ago...as in over six years. I have not had one single solitary hiccup with this player. Before I owned this Planet, I had a brand new Rega that unfortunately departed with ye olde division of property nitemare.

Care must be taken in buying any used piece with moving parts but I still think a GREAT bargain is there for the taking. Unlike others here, I have not found much happiness in the low cost players, this both 24Bit and SACD. I still think that the build of these players including the power supply and output stages is mediocre. The chassis' are not NEAR as good either. Compare the original Rega Planet in build to any of the mid-price machines and the difference is amazing.

I recently tested a smattering of low cost SACD and DVD players in several installations during the holidays and after. Digitally you are seemingly getting more for the buck but sonically, I am not as convinced. Others disagree here but from what I have heard, it still pays to go for the WHOLE picture. I first started seeing this with low cost 24Bit solutions that were not sounding as good as an 18-20Bit DAC in well designed player with attention paid to the power supply and output stage.

Still, I can agree that one must be VERY VERY careful when buying a used unit. And I would not pay top ducats for used unless I REALLY knew the past. Are Friends Electric just bought a used Sony SCD-777es for a song. It was a great buy but knowing the unit's past sure did help. Some great bargains can be found just as in other audio areas. As I have said, there is MORE to the CD player than the latest DAC. Actually, FAR more.

kh

"I would not even consider buying an old used CD player. It'd be comparable to buying a car with 200,000 miles already on it. CD players don't last forever unless you're lucky."

Mind you but, my 250K+ miles Toyota Camry still runs great without a hitch to this day.

I still prefer the Jolida JD-100A over my 4-year old Rega Planet. But my Planet is still a fine CD Player not because I am LUCKY but because it is a WELL BUILT Player.

Much of your post have no substance, Paul. You often criticize things you don't have! You don't have a SET amp and you don't have a Rega Planet! Go about your fantasized world and leave reality alone!

Okay guys. I didn't mean to start a food fight here. I simply wanted to know if the Rega Planet 2000 or the Jupiter offer worthy improvements to the original Rega Planet which must be truly special because so many of you have one.I come to this as a classical musician with extrodinary expectations, because I was fortunate to play in the Berlin Orchestras before quitting that career to take on new responsibilities. So, a pretty demanding ear here without the pocketbook to match my Strad tastes. My Cornwalls are powered through two tube amps: Jolida 502-A, and a Kenwood 1100 (because the Jolida doesn't have a phone stage). The CD player is a 25 buck LA thrift shop find that still performs and looks somewhat high end: Kyocera DA 410cx.

Proko03@aol.com

Parrot, you comments pertaining to the Rega Planet would be quite compelling if you had done anything more than sample one briefly at a show within an unknown system in an unfamiliar room.

As for FLK, you have now proved yourself over the last 24 hours to be nothing more than a troll; and a common misinformed one at that.

kh

----------------

On 2/8/2004 1:56:52 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Parrot, you comments pertaining to the Rega Planet would be quite compelling if you had done anything more than sample one briefly at a show within an unknown system in an unfamiliar room.

As for FLK, you have now proved yourself over the last 24 hours to be nothing more than a troll; and a common misinformed one at that.

kh
----------------

Homee,

Your infinitesimal jabs may exasperate some. I on the other hand merely examine the origin. A person that hearkens your imprudence is perceptibly moronic and comparatively oblivious.