Early Klipsch Forte?

flashman

I just checked the serial numbers on my Klipsch Forte speakers -- 8663049 and 8663050. After reading the serial number decoder list, that means they were built in the sixth week of '86, the first year that the original Forte speakers were built. Guess that means they were among the first ever produced? I recall buying them on the strength of the review by Julian Hirsch in the July '86 "Stereo Review."

I now want to fall in love with them again... and am considering a tube integrated amplifier. When my wife found me looking at the Jolida web site, she got this funny look on her face and said, "You just upgraded the stereo system in your car." As if that mattered... Funny how hearing audio the way it is supposed to sound is soooo important to guys but women (well, for the most part) just don't get it. Must be something hard wired into our respective sexes. Anyway, I felt the need to unload somewhere about this.

Flashman

I just purchased an Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15 integrated tube amp and have been playing that through my original Fortes. SN 8713043/4. Sounds fantastically better than any of the SS gear I have played through them. The sound is so natural, and I just can't explain it. The only problem I have been having is that the mids seem too strong. I started a topic about that here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=45340

BTW, where can I find the serial number decoder list?

----------------

On 2/7/2004 12:01:07 PM forte wrote:

I just purchased an Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15 integrated tube amp and have been playing that through my original Fortes. SN 8713043/4. Sounds fantastically better than any of the SS gear I have played through them. The sound is so natural, and I just can't explain it. The only problem I have been having is that the mids seem too strong. I started a topic about that here:

BTW, where can I find the serial number decoder list?

----------------

Forte,

The serial number decoder chart can be found at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ivol/klipsch_cornwall/klipsch_date_codes.htm

Looks as if your speakers were produced the first week of '87.

I have read about your Antique Sounds integrated amp and it sounds good. I am also researching Jolida's products. I want to pay sub-$700 and am somewhat apprehensive about a tube product after years of SS receivers. But I will take the plunge after a lot of research. Thanks for your feedback. Wish I could tell you how to tone down your mids.

Flashman

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 2/8/2004 12:40:20 PM Johnny dB wrote:

Flashman, '85 was the first year for the Fortes. Not that it matters much as they all sound great. 9.gif Will you be using a TT? Have you considered vintage tube gear? If you have your heart set on new, check out the Cayin T-30.

----------------

Thanks for the clarification Johnny dB.

As to the Cayin TA-30, I have been reading great posts about it, particuarly how it mates well to Forte speakers. I may take the plunge. Did you get the modified version or just go for the base version? I am hesitant about purchasing beause I have never had a tube intergrated amp (now powering my Forte speakers with an old Carver 900 SS receiver). How do you like the Cayin? Much trouble to maintain? Did you get it from Paul?

Flashman

If you would like an amp that gives you a tube-u-lar sound, but in a solid state package, I can vouch for McCormack amplifiers.

I ran my Fortes with a McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe, and it was like a re-awakening. Recordings suddenly became live events, with the artist RIGHT THERE in my living room; when I added a good subwoofer, I was transported to the room the recording was made in... the subsonic room signatures, along with the amazing clarity of the McCormack\Klipsch combination, was a revelation.

The other great thing about a powerful solid-state amp with Fortes is the bass slam; since the Forte sports a cone woofer, it needs a lot of power to push enough air to provide that realistic push.

Third great thing... no tubes to replace.

Oh, and you can find these babies for slightly less than half of retail on the used market.

Whatever you decide on, it is terrific to know that your Forte is going to be one of the last components in your system you would need to upgrade. I never plan to let go of mine, even if I were to someday get completely horny (K-Horns or LaScalas), there is always the bedroom... 1.gif

On 2/24/2004 5:17:16 PM chuckears wrote:

If you would like an amp that gives you a tube-u-lar sound, but in a solid state package, I can vouch for McCormack amplifiers.

I ran my Fortes with a McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe, and it was like a re-awakening. Recordings suddenly became live events, with the artist RIGHT THERE in my living room; when I added a good subwoofer, I was transported to the room the recording was made in... the subsonic room signatures, along with the amazing clarity of the McCormackKlipsch combination, was a revelation.

The other great thing about a powerful solid-state amp with Fortes is the bass slam; since the Forte sports a cone woofer, it needs a lot of power to push enough air to provide that realistic push.

Third great thing... no tubes to replace.

Oh, and you can find these babies for slightly less than half of retail on the used market.

Whatever you decide on, it is terrific to know that your Forte is going to be one of the last components in your system you would need to upgrade. I never plan to let go of mine, even if I were to someday get completely horny (K-Horns or LaScalas), there is always the bedroom... 1.gif

----------------

Thanks for the advice about the McCormack. I have now read a few reviews and it sounds like a very impressive amp. Any suggestions on a used or budget pre-amp to match it? The only issue is that the McCormack appears to go for about $1,000 on Audiogon, and when I add a used quality pre-amp, I imagine I will spend up to $500. For about $850 or so I could get a tube integrated Cayin TA-30 from Paul at 2baudio (I may have the web address wrong). Even with the hassle of changing tubes, heat, etc. I may get to the same place (minus perhaps the huge SS bass slam, although the TA-30 has very good bass from what I understand). I will continue my journey of discovery. Thanks for the help on the way.

I have talked to Paul at 2baudio and a basic Cayin TA 30 on EBay, I believe that is how he sellsthem over the internet, is $599 plus $25 shipping. With upgrades and shipping $875. I am about ready to take the tube leap and buy the upgraded one on Monday. IF I do I will post a reveiw.

Xman

flashman,

If you are going for music-only, the McCormack TLC-1 integrates wonderfully with the McCormack amplifiers. I picked up mine for just over $400. This particular combination (with good interconnects) yielded the best sound I have ever heard in my house.

I have not come close to it with my home theater expansion, even with the $3500 Anthem HT processor + $2000 Rotel 5-channel amp. It was a sacrifice I now regret (even though I love the home theater experience it yields). I cannot get back to the live-sounding experience I had with the McCormack components...

----------------

On 2/25/2004 9:29:21 AM flashman wrote:

Thanks for the advice about the McCormack. I have now read a few reviews and it sounds like a very impressive amp. Any suggestions on a used or budget pre-amp to match it? The only issue is that the McCormack appears to go for about $1,000 on Audiogon, and when I add a used quality pre-amp, I imagine I will spend up to $500. For about $850 or so I could get a tube integrated Cayin TA-30 from Paul at 2baudio (I may have the web address wrong). Even with the hassle of changing tubes, heat, etc. I may get to the same place (minus perhaps the huge SS bass slam, although the TA-30 has very good bass from what I understand). I will continue my journey of discovery. Thanks for the help on the way.

----------------