Heresy/subwoofer

mrcrs1

I need a little help on picking a subwoofer that matches up with my Heresy and my vintage Marantz system, 300dc amp, 3650 pre amp, and 2130 tuner. Does Kirsch make a subwoofer that is compatible? If so, what would you recommend, and if not same question.

Subs are relatively interchangeable (good matches) with most speakers, as the frequencies at which they play are less distinguishable. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get a good sub, but rather that you won't hear a tonal/timber mismatch.

Heresys roll off pretty early, so they really do need a sub to shine... What kind of budget you looking at? Given your post, I'm guessing its a 2 channel mostly music system?

I originally matched mine up with a sealed energy sub, and it did quite well with them. Even though a sealed sub rarely extends as deeply as a vented sub, the Heresys did benefit greatly being relieved from trying to unsuccessfully play the lower octaves. I think a Klipsch RSW12 would be an excellent match, as it's more powerfull and extends deeper... a sub which is often described as "very musical". If you plan to eventually move to bigger Heritage model... you will probably need something more powerfull like the RSW15... or perhaps a SVS PB2 type box.

Later...

Rob

I'm sure klipsch makes many subwoofers to fit the bill.

I have had excellent experiences with Dr. Hsu subs.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/

It all depends on what your budget is; but the Dr. Hsu subs are very hard to beat at any price. I have at times used my VTF-2 sub with a pair of my heresys just for goofing around. The sound is excellent and not that far behind my klipschorns. Heresys do need a subwoofer and they sound great with the VTF-2. Check out their website and read the reviews. Hopes this helps you a little.