Rear surrounds don't blend with furniture...now what?

endover

I'm a little bit stuck here....

I'm trying to mount my jet black rear surround RS-35's on the back wall of my living room. It's a cathedral ceiling room(11 feet ceilings) and I have the Chorus II's up front. If I mount the RS-35's at the ceiling, I'm afraid I'll never hear them since I sit 12 feet from my Chorus II's.

The Klipsch look great by themselves but most of my(my wife's) decor is nice stained oak shadowboxes, cherry armoire, and other wood antique furniture on light olive green walls. The RS-35's look too modern and they just don't (smoothly) blend in(especially at the 5 to 7 foot height that they're supposed to be mounted). I've been looking for matching green speaker cloth on the web as well as Joanne's and I can't seem to find anything that matches.

I can assume what acoustically transparent cloth is but what practical difference will I hear between true speaker cloth and a Walmart shear mesh????

Also....anyone else have this problem of getting your speakers to "blend" into a non-modern decor? I'd even be up for making nice shelves to mount them on but their big enough that they "distract" the eye.....

Thoughts or suggestions???

You might be able to build and stain wood boxes or half-cylinders w/ acoustically transparent cloth to go over the speakers when wall-mounted, design them to blend with the rest of the decor (match the stain color, wheat-colored grillecloth, etc.). Maybe attach wood accents to the top or bottom of the cover-boxes that match your furniture or room fixtures (star-railing knobs, etc.). Or you might have to go with in-wall types.

You might consider some accoustically transparent ceiling- to-floor draperies to visually mask off the speakers (especially if they are in corners) like in a commercial theatre. That really is the only respectable method that I can think of, but done right, probably expensive.

Since the speakers are the cheapest thing to replace, perhaps you should consider that instead... sorry.

DM

Sorry....I spent my money on speakers instead of a digital camera. I'll have to wait before I can take some pics.

The speakers are staying though...I like their sound waaay too much. I might try a mix of some of these suggestions and I'll let you know how it goes.