Moderator(s) can you answer this? No one else can.

Legairre

I tried posting this on the technical forum, but no one seems to be able to answer my question.

I currently don't own any Klipsch speakers, but I might soon. I'm really interested in the RF-5s, but my dealer won't have any in stock until July 16th. So until then I'm reaserching them as much as possible. I currently have horn speakers(JBLHLS series). They sound different than other speakers and I like the way the horns give an un-colored sound. I really like the Paradigm's, but I want to here the Klipsch RF-5s because I'm a fan of horn speakers and I love it when music sounds like a live concert(I keep hearing the Klipsch speakers have this effect).

I've been in the market for new speakers lately. I've checked out Paradigm Studio(60v2s & 100v2), PSB Silver i, and now I'm up to the Klipish reference line. My question is. Why don't the RF-5s have a center channel speaker that's voice matched?

The RF-3 fronts use the same tweeter as the RC-3 center and the RF-7 fronts use the same tweeter as the RC-7 center, but the RF-5 fronts don't have a center channel speaker with same tweeter. The Klipsch site shows that both the RC-3 center and the RC-7 center work with the RF-5 fronts,but hows can these centers be voice matched with the RF-5s when they don't use the same tweeter? Below are the fronts and center speakers with the tweeters they use from the Klipsh web site. Are the crossovers set to match both centers?

Fronts

RF-3 tweeter = K-105-K 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome

RF-7 tweeter = K-67-DV 1.75" (4.45cm) Titanium dome

RF-5 tweeter = K-119-KB 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome

Centers

RC-3 tweeter = K-105-K 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome

RC-7 tweeter = K-67-DV 1.75" (4.45cm) Titanium dome

------------------

"What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Radden Home Theater

Suggest you wait till the product is in stores nearby and then you can judge for yourself. The reason we suggest both centers is that they both work very nicely. The RC-7 with its killer HF compression driver will hang in there better when the sound gets very loud or very complex. Also, if you prefer to set center to 'large' the RC-7 goes way deeper in the bass (despite the specs). The RC-3 has a HF driver identical to the RF-5 but is voiced a bit differently. As the reply above indicates, you could take a third RF-5, set it on top of the TV and it would STILL sound different due to different placement conditions. Don't forget the importance of room acoustics on sound.

I sympathize with your impatience, but the speakers should be there soon, assuming your dealer ordered. We have been flooded with orders and second production run will ship just after the middle of July. The only way to get REAL answers to your good questions is to hear for yourself. Maybe you should buy the RF-7's then you get the best of all worlds. They are just one rent payment more.

BobG,

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'm still confused. In all my dealing/reading about speaker matching. I've never heard of a voiced matched center that didn't share the tweeter. I'm only guessing here but it sounds like the RF-5 is the Jan Brady of the reference line with a compromise in the center matching vs a true center thats voice matched. I did consider the RF-7 and RC-7 setup, but I have four subs(2 12" 250watt running off the LFE and 2 10" 150 watt running off the surrounds), so bass isn't a problem. The RF-5 just seem to fit the bill for fronts.

One of the reasons I'm asking is that the Paradigm messed up with the Studio 80s in their reference line. The 80's use a different size mid-range driver than the rest of the Studio series and aren't a good match for any of the other Studio speakers. I'm just wondering if Klipsch did the same thing with the RF-5s not having a center with the same tweeter.

Usually if the tweeter in the three front speakers is not the same then the panning across the front will work, but it won't be seamless.

Thanks

Legairre

------------------

"What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Radden Home Theater