PCi or PC+

anonapon

I feel a little strange asking this in a Klipsch forum, but since they're well discussed here, and the advice is excellent, here goes...

I'm interested in getting one of the SVS 25-31 powered cylinders. I can't decide whether to buy the i or +. The difference in maximum SPLs isn't a concern because I'm sure a PCi would be loud enough for me, but is the quality of sound put out by a PC+ much better? Is it tighter, cleaner, and otherwise what is considered more musical? Substantially so, just a little, somewhere in between? Most reviews tout the greater sound levels, it's difficult getting a handle on how much better it is in quality.

Thanks

----------------

On 2/15/2004 4:00:37 PM anonapon wrote:

The difference in maximum SPLs isn't a concern because I'm sure a PCi would be loud enough for me, but is the quality of sound put out by a PC+ much better? Is it tighter, cleaner, and otherwise what is considered more musical? Substantially so, just a little, somewhere in between?

----------------

My understanding is apart from the added SPL, the better driver in the + features improved linearity (the woofer cone's travel remains linear throughout it's excursion) therefore providing improved bass quality. Catch is, this becomes relevant as the cone approaches it's excursion limits (high volume)... which brings you back to the SPL. If you don't intend on pushing you sub, you can stick with the PCi, as the difference will be negligible... BUT personally I'd go for the extra SPL 2.gif

Follow SteelerFan's advice, and drop them an email...

Rob

I pondered the same question at the time I bought my 2039PCI. One factor that needs to be taken into consideration, that isn't mentioned here is room size. I underbought and was faced with the need to upgrade in only a few months. The PCi was bottoming far too often trying to push enough air in my 7000+ cu ft room to satisfy even moderate listening levels. So be sure to include room size information when you discuss your selection with SVS.

Jerry Rappaport

Thanks for the help. I e-mailed SVS and communicated with Tom V. Because the space this will need to fill isn't very great, it's a small HT setup being built around my computer, a PCi should do fine. He wrote that until the PCi begins to reach its "clean output capabilities, the two models will sound nearly identical".

I have a feeling I'm going to be very happy with this sub and SVS. My family has a larger room for more serious, collective movie watching, and if I can convince the other members of my family to get a sub for there, I'll probably need a "+" to do it properly. The only problem is the convincing. They don't like bass half as much as I love it.

oh, and I'll probably get a 20-39 instead of a 25-31. It costs only slightly more, and the greater extension might be enjoyable. Plus, Tom recommended it, and I must serve Tom.