I know im gonna get shot down on this one

I have a pair of KLH cwm36.gif 9912 speakers. I know.. but they are in addition to my LaScalas. anywayz... i have noticed that after playing the klh's loud for a while the dust cup on the driver will be luke warm to warm. now is that normal or is something wrong here?

------------------

------------------------

LaScala (industrial) Main

Radio Shack ssm-1200 mixer

Carver 400 Amp

Pioneer pd-4700 cd player

I would say that this is normal (tough it should only appear with very very very very high levels...gasp), assuming the dust cap is made from aluminium. If the dust cap is made from paper or polypropylene of wathever material who isn't supposed to conduct the heat out of the voice coil, I would say maybe it would better not to run them too long at those high volumes.

Frans

Most speakers are less than 2% efficient in converting electrical energy from your amp to acoustic energy. Where does all the rest of the amp power go? Heat. The voice coil in your speaker will be several hundred degrees F. The heat is conducted, even by the paper parts, to the dust cap where you can feel the elevated temperature.