Looking to upgrade - which one?

GeoMan

Ok - I've got my choices narrowed down to 5 subs - any help would be appreciated in pointing me in the right direction.

I'm running a Denon 1802 with 5 Heresy's - current sub is a Acoustic Research 12" POS. This setup is just ok now - nothing a good sub could not fix. I listen to 70%-30% music to movies. Room size is 25x16.

The 5 choices are (cost includes shipping):

Hsu stf-2 364.00

----------------

On 2/18/2004 11:16:48 AM GeoMan wrote:

Ok - I've got my choices narrowed down to 5 subs - any help would be appreciated in pointing me in the right direction.

I'm running a Denon 1802 with 5 Heresy's - current sub is a Acoustic Research 12" POS. This setup is just ok now - nothing a good sub could not fix. I listen to 70%-30% music to movies. Room size is 25x16.

The 5 choices are (cost includes shipping):

Hsu stf-2 364.00

Hsu vtf-2 449.00

12" MKIII Titanic Kit - 536.00

Klipsch RW-12 450.00 - 475.00

SVS 25-31PCI - 565.00

Any suggestions are welcome.

----------------

Heresys roll off pretty early and I think you have a pretty large room, so a larger sub would be the way to go... this is what I see in personal order of preferance:

1- SVS 25-31PCI - 565.00

2- 12" MKIII Titanic Kit - 536.00 (but can move up -1- or down one -3-)

3- Klipsch RW-12 450.00 - 475.00

4- Hsu vtf-2 449.00

5- Hsu stf-2 364.00

The reason for this order is from what I've read, the SVS packs more power versus the RW series and the HSU is a little pricey for a 10" (wouldn't a VTF3 be better competition?).

I know / respect the Parts Express titanic drivers, but don't know enough about the pre-finished enclosure in the KIT to say on how it'll perform. From what I know, it's a sealed sub? Enclosure volume? Because of this, I'm not sure if it should be in front of the SVS or maybe behind the RW-12.

You may take a look also at the SVS box subs for esthetical reasons. In any case SVS has a pretty good resale value to boot, for when you eventually want even more.

Good luck...

Rob