Reel to Reel tape player

kuisis

----------------

On 2/24/2004 12:52:41 PM kuisis wrote:

Does anybody own and listen to reel to reel tapes anymore?

A friend is getting rid of his reel to reel tape player, and about 100 recording, mostly classical and jazz. Any comments on the sound, I think the player is an Akai.

----------------

Which model Akai? Reel to reel can sound great. The GX heads on Akai decks were generally very durable. I still own a GX620. Not the cat's meow of R2R decks, but very adequate for good recordings and hours of listening. R2R repair is not always easy to find, tape is sometimes even harder to find. Akai's had a reputation of being dependable decks. I know I'm in the minority, but I still prefer the sound of R2R recordings and cassettes recorded on a good Nak to CD's.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 2/24/2004 12:52:41 PM kuisis wrote:

Does anybody own and listen to reel to reel tapes anymore?

A friend is getting rid of his reel to reel tape player, and about 100 recording, mostly classical and jazz. Any comments on the sound, I think the player is an Akai.

----------------

Akai made a number of real fine reel to reels...the GX models were pretty spendy in their day and quite well made...I have a revox B77 that I haven't used in a few years because i don't have space for it and not enough inputs on my amp but if the unit your friend is parting with works well and isnt too much money, I say go for it...reel to reel performance is generally pretty darn good especially if recorded at 7 or 15 ips