Blown RF3 Woofer?

Dome

I currently have one of my RF3's in the shop for warranty repair on a blown (I guess) tweeter. I can't stand to be musicless so I was listening through my other single speaker and I thought it sounded a little gutless. Upon further inspection, it appears one of the woofers may be malfunctioning.

The top woofer on the RF-3 does not move nearly as much as the lower one and there appears to be little to no sound coming out of it. It does move a little though, just not nearly as much as the other one.

In another post, I read that if you gently pressed on each woofer (while they are not driving), the bad one should stick or not move as well as the good one. They both appear to move just fine when trying this test. Also, there is no visible damage from the outside.

Does this sound like a blown woofer? If so, does anybody know how much a new one costs from Klipsch? These speakers are still under warranty, but it is going on 5 weeks now having my local SoundTrack (ULtimate Electronics) repair my other speaker and I don't know if I want to be without this one for that long.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Turns out the speaker was not blown after all. What had happened is one of the wires coming from the cone to the little tab where hte internal speaker wires are attached had come loose from its solder. The speakers had been playing fairly loud before I noticed this (but not distorting), maybe the air pressure in the cabinet had forced it loose? Anyways, at least its only a minor problem.

• Like 1