Rear Center Channel

Indians724

I just got my new home theater set up, and am looking to add a rear center channel....i have 2 sf-3's, a sc-3, and 2 ss-3's......i dont know if i need that big of a center channel in the back or if i should step down to the sc-1 or even the sc.5.....any suggestions???

Sadly, once you have SS-3's you enter the realm of minimal directionality and maximum inundation of unnatural sound. The so called "theater sound" is created by sending sounds to the front and back of the room so that no direct sound in that spectrum reaches your ear except by bouncing off objects (walls, ceiling, furniture, etc.) to arrive at your ears at about the same instant. Theaters use that trick to make less desirable seats have the same sound as ideally placed seats. In other words, the sound is made more mediocre everywhere to sell more tickets. This trick also makes rooms with poor acoustics seem better... also by keeping the sound mediocre.

Of course, the SS-3's do allow some directivity in the lower range as part of the Klipsch WDST formula. But, take it from an old pro, setting your system up with seven speakers identical to your left and right mains will create the best sound in the Synergy realm. I have now done it with Synergy, Reference, Legend and Heritage speakers. Try it... you will never go back to muddled rears again! -HornEd

----------------

On 3/3/2004 6:39:40 AM Bill H. wrote:

Indians,

How do you like your SF 3's? I tried listening to them at b/b but was blown out by other displays around me.............I noticed b/b sells them at 424.00 IS THIS EACH?

thanks

----------------

Yes, that's each. They sound pretty damned good, actually - they make everything else (including the rest of the Synergy series) in Best Buy's "showroom" sound like crap.

Yes, indeed, Griffinator... SF-3's ARE the pick of the litter... especially if you can work with 6 or 7 of them for a much better than anticipated Home Theater. Don't forget to add the sub-array, of course.

The original "HornEd" speaker layout in my 30' motorhome used the Synergy series... so my preference for SF-3's are an up close and personal choice. I have since migrated higher up the Klipsch chain... but my respect for the SF-3's remain. -HornEd

PS: The acoustic challenges of a motorhome entailed work with various WDST iterations. In a challenged area, WDST approaches do provide a quick fix that many folks find worthy... from a "theater sound" perspective. Blahhh 14.gif

----------------

On 3/4/2004 12:46:24 AM Indians724 wrote:

i havent set them up yet, i just got them and i have to start wiring my room...but i work at BB so i got them cheap and they sound great at our store.....i just cant wait to get them up and running...

----------------

When I worked there, that was my plan of action - picking up six of those bastards and an HTR-5660 to drive them while I still had the (40% off!) discount.

Now, I'm just not going to bother with them. I have a dream, a dream of K-Horns and LaScalas, of seven tube monoblocks...

Follow that dream Griffinator! I did with Klipschorns mains and Belle Klipsch center like Mr. Paul... plus a Belle Klipsch rear array to accommodate multi-channel music and DVD's. My next big leap is to a custom design for at least six Klipschorns and a 121.5 dB @ 20 Hz subwoofer tower in a seven cornered room. Beyond that, I hope to rival my hero, Q-man, for the most horned Klipscher on this Forum. -HornEd