A little bit of heresy ...

TauRus

Recently i happened to come across another speaker maker's web site: Final Sound. They specialize in electrostatic speakers and claim significant benefits of this technology over the age old dynamic speakers. I have not had an opportunity to listen to these electrostats long enough to make any relevant conclusion. I did listen a little to the Mirages at the Tweater stores a while ago and i liked some of the bigger Mirage electrostats but their price was way way higher anything i could seriously consider for purchasing. The guys at Final Sound seem to hint that their technology is even more advanced than that used in other electrostas like Mirages. Does anyone here have had any serious experience with these speakers? what is your opinion? And btw, could Klipsch benefit from this technology in some hyrid design combining horms with midrange electrostats? My interest in this technology is simply theoretical at this point, i do not plan to part with my Klipsches at all. Just love to keep track of the advances in technology and would be greateful if any of the Klipsch engineers would provide a comparative analysis.

I owned Maggies for a few years in the 80's They sound great in a smaller room. If you play them real hard you can turn them into high priced spaghetti strainers1.gif

I can not see a way to mix horns and electos. Horns are way too fast and electros are way to slow. A mix would be a disaster.

Besides, The detailed horn midrange of the Heritage is what I love.

JM

I had a chance to listen to some Maggies recently for an hour or so at my local Klipsch dealer. Personally, I kinda liked what I heard. The detail and openess of the sound was very nice as was the imaging. Alas, they had no real bottom end which was saved by a REL sub. Upon pushing them a bit hard, you could tell they started straining at a SPL that most Klipsch speakers would be just hitting their stride. At one point I mentioned to the sales guy that there was something wrong with the meters on the Mac power amp. He said no, the amp really was delivering about 200 watts/channel to the Maggies! YIKES!! How could that be since we were still able to hold a conversation? Can you say inefficient?

Anyhow - I liked them. Certainly not my Klipsch's and I'd never trade my Klipsch's for them, but I'm certain some folks would feel just the opposite.

Tom