2 Mains left - 2 Mains right

Budman

Can someone tell me the pro's and con's of using 2 speakers for the left mains, and 2 speakers for the right mains stacked on top of each other and wired to the A speakers on the receiver in parallel. I read about it here within the last 3 weeks and i cannot find it. my brother is stacking 2 Radio Shack Mach 1 speakers for the left and right and says its the best he has ever heard. read something about it sounds like dropping a rock into a pond. any help. he wants to here from the Forum. Thanks

Other than giving you a few db more output, especially at lower frequencies, I can't think of any definite advantages. If you turned the top speaker upside down, and were careful to always sit at just the right height, there could be a little more clarity at some frequencies, due to a narrowing of the vertical dispersion. Plus, possibly the radiation would more closely approximate that of a point source ("the rock in the pond" effect he's talking about), IOW, better driver integration due to the symetrical layout.

But more likely, all you're gonna get is louder, muddier sound. But there is nothing wrong with experimentation. That's a good way to learn what works and what doesn't.