tv interference?

HTADDICT

Hooked my kenwood amp up to my rf3's works good, but when I turn on my sony tv there is a very audible hissing crackling sound. Doesn't do it when I switch on anything else. My amp is about 14" above my tv and my amp is plugged into the back of my sony receiver. Why does this happen and how do I fix it? Do I have to just move my amp further away? That really isn't a favorable option. Any help out there, looking for some wisdom, also had questions on what to do with this amp in my post 2 amp or not. Thanks.

Hello again, HTADDICT (I just responded to your two sub post). One of my favorite senior citizens is Nina Shelby (long of Ft. Worth, TX and longing for her natal N.D.) who annually gets her "reality checks" in your neck of the woods (err, plains).

With that kind of HISS, the boo(ze) can't be far behind... it seems a little causation research is in order... and no doubt help will be on the way from the more learned audio-geek-ophiles in this BB neighborhood.

I would try to put some kind of insulator between my amp and the TV for openers. It may not kill enough of the distortion... but it could point a finger toward a solution. Happy hunting... oh, yeah, and did I mention placement? HornEd

Thanks Horned, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has discoverd this,I don't know when I'll find the time to play around with it to fix the problem, maybe this next week, wife is going to the inlaws with the kids!!

She said that she wants all the windows in tact when she gets back though. So I'll be bachin it for the week, finally get to play with the stereo. I read your other reply too thanks again. Would really like to get rid of this crackle though, how do you think I could insulate the amp? Why does my tv do this and nothing else? Would this still happen if i got a different amp?

Now that I've finally gotten one I have been bitten by the bug and I'm ready to fully amp my system (with a better amp though) are kenwoods junk? well I've asked enough questions hopefully you or other hometheateraholics out ther will be able to answer a few of them.

ht, do u have your tv audio hooked into the sony tv ins? if so does it eliminate the noise when u disconnect that or is the noise coming externally into the sony or ken?

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

ht, so i take it didn't do this when u had only the sony hooked up. & it's only coming outta your rf-3 which are hooked to the ken?

if so, then sounds like the ken is picking up EMF

interference from the tv. have u tried putting some kinda shield like a metal tray underneath the ken?

also it probably wouldn't hurt to have a noise filtering (RF, EMF) like surge protector to plug all the components into if u don't already.

Boa, once again thank you, your idea about the cables was half on, but not where you expected, you got me thinking so I went back and checked, behind the tv my wires had fallen!! lifted them little buggers up about 2 inches, noise gone. Simple logic is always a good place to start, in my excitement to get it hooked up before the wife seen I bought a new toy I negleted to "clean up" my connections, didn't even realize it. Tomorrow HOUSECLEANING. Usually I keep a pretty clean wire mess behind my stuff, just one of those occations where cleansliness is next to godliness. thanks again boa

Though this problem is solved, I thought it a good opportunity to remind all to CLEAN YOUR SYSTEM'S CONNECTORS. Those metal contact surfaces oxidize over time and the grime really impairs signal purity. So, go through your entire system and clean every contact surface. RCA connectors, speaker wire, everything. You will spend some time, but it's the cheapest system enhancement you can make and definitely worth your time. Once or twice a year is a good schedule.