4.1 sub connected to home rec'vr

edblor

Can someone assist me in connecting a Promedia 4.1 sub to my home rec'vr?

The sub has the L&R front and rear connectors and the one large round connector on the back. I don't have the satellites for the 4.1 setup, just the sub.

Any idea how to connect it to my rec'vr?

I have a Pioneer rec'vr that is Dolby surround, but it also has a Pre-Out connector but no sub out.

I was thinking of something like connecting the L&R front to the sub and connecting the speakers toi the sub, but I don't know how toi do that!

Helkp please!

Thanx

------------------

Sig to come.

edblor:

Sorry, but our ProMedia systems are not set up to be hooked into any type of receiver in the manner you are trying to do. That round input on the sub is designed to take a preamp signal from one of the satellites that has the volume and sub controls and various inputs. The speaker terminals on the sub are outputs only and are to only be connected to the satellites. If you had the satellites you could connect a line level out from your receiver (tape monitor, etc) into the input on the satellite (after converting the L and R RCA jacks out to 1 pin jack in) and use the ProMedia system as a satellite/speaker system. The ProMedias are actually designed, though, to be a system that works with computers and personal audio devices, such as Walkmans and MP3 players.

PhilH

Phil,

Thank you for the reply:D

Is there anyway then to connect another set of satellites to this Klipsch sub...on my home PC? I have satellites of another make/model, but can I swap subs in this manner?

Or;

Would I require the exact satellites from the Klipsch series? If so, can I purchase just the satellites from Klipsch?

Thank you,

Edblor

------------------

Sig to come.

You could hook up other sats to the sub, but remember two things: the amp is providing only 60 watts per satellite, and that may not be enough, depending what satellites you use, or even too much if you use cheap ones. Secondly, the ensemble is designed to work together; the crossover from the sub to the sats is adjusted for that sub and those sats. So you might get pretty horrible results with other satellites.

Mixing and matching can work, but there's also a very good chance that it won't...

Hmmmm,

I was also wondering about how to connect it to my sound card? I don't have that cable that uses the large round connectorFrown.gif I'm assuming that is needed:O

Any idea where I can buy or get the satellites only? And that cable thingy??? Does Klipsch sell just the satellites? Who do I ask?

Thanx,

Edblor

------------------

Sig to come.

This message has been edited by edblor on 06-29-2001 at 10:37 AM

edblor:

Welllll.....the sats would be about $52 each and you would need a preamp which is $50. If you are interested, you can call our ProMedia Customer service number at 888-554-5665. We do have a ProMedia section in this forum which has posters who are, overall, much more capable about answering sound card hookup questions than I...

PhilH

Hey edblor

Post this under the 4.1 Pro Media section

or email me

I can help ya out, I am going to be doing the same thing with my Pros.

(Just as soon I get my 4.1's back from my dad, and if I get another set of Pros, (v2-400's)

If you go to radio shack you can get adapters. You can get a Stereo 1/8th inch Jack to RCA (? the large black connectors..), will have a Female 1/8th jack usualy, to 2 of the Larger connectors.

Get two of those, hook your pros in, and hook up to the Reciever.

You can also try this, it would only be Stereo .

Use your Headphone out.

Get a Y adapter and plug in the Rear and Front speakers, and plug it into the Headphone out. If its a larger Connector, buy a 1/8th to what ever size it is adapter.

PhilH:

Would this work?

And, which Wire is possitive, which is negative?

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds