Home Theatre Purchase Recommendations

Walk6

Looking for some recommendations on my first home theatre purchase. My budget is $3K and the room dimensions are 17'x11'x9'. I would like to leave some space for furniture so I'm leaning towards wall mountable speakers. I've bought the following but have 30 days to change my mind.

Receiver: Denon AVR3805

DVD/CD: Denon DVM1815

Front: Klipsch RSX5

Center: RC35

Rear: RSX5

Sub: RW10

Also, the sales rep was pushing the Monster Home Theatre Powerbar 1100. At $200 is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Haven't heard any of the speakers that you mention, but I can tell you that one of the warmest recievers I've heard with Klipsch is Denon. I think you've made a wise choice on that first item on your list. If I were in the market for a new reciever I'd probably buy the 3805, I'd buy more if I could affort it, but I think that 3805 is a sweet reciever.

Hope you enjoy it.

Make sure you dealer is giving you a decent discount off of MSRP. I find that dealers will make you a good offer if you just ask "What can you sell this for?" and then they will come down a little more if you work at it. I just listened to so RB-35s the other day. MSRP is $600/pr. I asked what he would sell them for and he easily offered to sell them for $500. 10-20 percent off can go along way in getting better equipment for your budget.

The new Denon 3805 sounds little a great receiver. If you want to save a few hundred dollars, dealers ought to be looking to clear out their inventory of 3803 units. With Klipsch speakers you can by with even less of a receiver which can allow you to getting better speakers (a better investment).

Unless you really want a changer, you might consider the Denon DVD-2200 (MSRP $600). It's a really nice unit with DVD-Audio and SACD capabilites (if this matters to you).

I think you are shorting yourself on you main speakers with the RSX-5. Look into the RB-35s, they do flush mount to walls. I was really impressed them when I auditioned them. The RB-25s sounded good also.

For a sub, you might look at SVS's lower end. They are great values. I haven't read many reviews of the Klipsch RW subs, so I can speak for them. SVS's website is svsubwoofers.com.

Good luck.