Does the sound card matter at all for promedia Speakers?

I have the promedia 4.1 and a really cheap sound blaster 2- chanel card. I have to use a special plug thingy to plug the 2 cords into the one socket on the card. My question is, is there a real difference in sound for these speakers with 2 chanel and 4 chanel cards? I was looking into the sound blaster live that runs for about 100 dollars but is that only good for digital speakers? what do you all think?

100 bucks? where ya gettin that. You can find Live! value cards for under $40 or pay around $80 for a SBL! 5.1 XGamer/MP3 You can look at www.soundblaster.com and compare the different cards.

SBL! cards have digital output as well as analog outputs

I do think a four channel soundcard is nice esp. for gaming. However, if you are more into just music, a y-adapter like you have will do fine since it does that same as a 4-channel card. I used to have an AWE64 value card for my old speakers and it was nice enough to listen to audio, HOWEVER my new SBLive! 5.1 is really nice because I was not able to listen to two wav audios at the same time. With a 4-channel card, you are able to have specific audio go to specific speakers

Hope this quick bit helps

use the creative surround mixer, it lets you drag icons represnting sound sources around a virtual listening area.

I never use it really, but its pretty cool just to fiddle with, like playing and audio cd and draggin the icon around your head to see what the effect is like.

-Jit