Anyone heard the BMS coax compression drivers?

hwatkins

I am in the midst of my next speaker project. For bass I have obtained a couple of JBL 2225H (these are actually 2205H reconed by JBL kit as a 2225H - I have always been a fan of the small difference in SPL of the Alnicos at lower power) and will build a box to the JBL speaker enclosure guidelines.

My plan is to use a very pretty 800hz Oak horn lens and I am leaning toward the BMS coax 2" compression driver - either the 4590 or the 4592 (neodidium-sp?- lighter and efficient magnet in the 92). I will be using a 1.5" throat on the lens with an adapter for the 2" driver - kinda copying that extended throat thingy that Altec did on some of their horns.

The problem is that, while I cannot find any bad reviews of the driver, there are very few reviews by folks that I have a history with and can understand how they speak to what they hear. Anyone here had an opportunity to listen to the BMS?

Thanks in advance.

Henry

The whole idea of the newer 1 1/2 driver is to get the diaphram & phaze plug closer to the newer horn throat designs. And now you want to throw this away ? Get on JBL pro & read technicle link on this subject.

Well Maron - I catch the drift of the article. It was interesting to see the similarities of performance with regard to second order harmonics up to somewhere just past 5K.

So - sticking with my deal seems to show higher distortion begining some where before my crossover to the HF diaphram at 6.5Khz. Up to that point I would have been reasonably ok, but I am going to rethink - I don't need greater distortion at that critical Xover point and considering I will need less distrotion through about 8khz to keep it smooth, I'll go to the 2" throat and drain the pocketbook a bit more.

The coax, due to its nature (a single exit, dual diaphram), has a small throat to accomondate the two drivers. The second order harmonics measures on par with the JBL when a 700hz, 2" lens is used (actually it measures quite a bit better in the 9Khz range up - may be more due to the JBL using the single diaphram).

Still wondering if anyone here has heard the driver.