Blown subwoofer? Need advice on repair.

roscoedawg

I think I blew my sub. I had the gain too high and heard a loud POP! Since the initial incident, I heard it again at a lower level.

I looked at the speaker and could not discern and damage. Would the damage be internal? What is the most logical cause and fix? I assume I can order the replacement parts easily enough.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

David

Without much more to go on, it is kind of hard to describe what has happened. However, if the woofer is driven beyond it's mechanical x-max ( maximum excursion ), then either the voice coil came out of the gap, and struck the pole piece on re-entry, or the voice coil bottomed on the rear backplate of the magnet assembly. Either scenario will result in a sickening crack / pop type sound.

So I would assume from what you have said that I need to replace the speaker. Is it a matter of unscrewing it from the cabinet and disconnecting the wires or is it more involved than that.

Please be patient with my ignorance in this subject matter. Just never needed to do it before...

It depends. I have some 8" parts express " famous maker " buyout speakers, that I have experimented with. A few times, I have driven them past their x-max and was rewarded with a loud crack. They still function properly and do not produce any spurrious noises in operation. So I guess it depends on the material that the voice coil former is made of, etc. Unfortunately, it is hard for us to diagnose exactly what is causing the noise. It could also be an amplifier turning on/off, or the receiver feeding it causing the noise. Only a process of elimination will find out. One thing you can do, is to push on the cone with your finger to see if there is any scraping or dragging of the voice coil. This misalignment could produce the noise, if the woofer is driven past it's limits, and the voice coil must slam back into the gap, especially if the suspension or the coil has saggged.

If your going to explore first unplug and remove the amp plate.

After all hex or torx screws are removed gingerly un seat the plate from the box there is a gasket there and you'll need to remove the connector for the power light (has small tab) then remove the speaker wires from the woofer.

after that go after the woofer from the front.