Velodyne CT150 "Any Potential Pitfalls?"

DillonW

I just purchased a Velodyne CT150, it should be arriving Tuesday. I have never owned a sub before, and would like to avoid any common pitfalls that newbies tend to get themselves into. Anyone out there have a CT150, or any general sub setup advice? If so, please help this subwoofer newbie keep what little hair he currently possesses.

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Mains: LaScalas

Center: KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Rears: Chorus IIs

Rear Center: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT150

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

DVD: Sony 560D

TV: Toshiba 61" 61H70

Hi Bill - I have a Velodyne CT-120, and I like it with my Forte's. Never heard the 150, though.

In your new setup, you'll now be faced with the large/small dilemna for your main speakers. That affects the bass management of your pre-amp/receiver. I would think that the LaScala's would be set to small, in spite of their physical size. But you can play with that setting to see what sounds best. Likewise, you'll need to play with the rear settings. Your Chorus will go pretty deep, so you might like it better with them set to large.

Of course, you'll also have to play with wiring the LaScala's through the sub or running the sub off the pre-out (which of course also affects the large/small settings -- it's all a domino effect). It will come down to how smoothly the cross-over works in the pre-amp versus letting the sub do it. Perhaps others with LaScala's and subs can give more advice (like Ray G?).

Doug