2 Subs in home theater?

jabaker

I have the reference series RF -35 as mains,RB-35 as surrounds and RC 35 as center channel.I also have the Rw12 sub by Klipsch.It is placed toward the front of the room along the side/the mains are placed beside the TV/components angled in the corner leaving alot of wasted space behind the TV/components.I have a second sub,a Kenwood 100 watt sub that I was thinking about hooking up also to my Onkyo 701 and placing behind my Rear projection TV.My Question:What would make my system sound best?

Hmm, well I doubt that the kenwood would have anything to offer other than distortion and other products, rather than helping out the rw-12. Start with the basics, including speaker distance and setup in the receiver ( large or small ) and also the subwoofer positioning and gain/crossover settings. You could keep the kenwood for a second bedroom system, or maybe sell it. That said, there is a lot of good information available on this board, welcome aboard!

First, I have seen an excellent article which suggested that placing the home movie and music reproduction systems in the corner of the room was a great way NOT only to get dept, but also to reduce the problems with room reflections since the side walls were no longer at right angles to the listener.

Second, a modest sub certainly has mid and upper bass. This bass is locatable by ear you can hear where it is located. Because of this, locating moderate subs in the center of the soundstage, under the TV, for example, is a good idea. One high-end loudspeaker manufacturer, Vince Christian, likes to position his speakers in an arc, with the sub at the apex. Sitting there, in front of the stereo TV rack, the sub contributes greatly to the mid-range, the 3D sonic illusion and the violence in action movies. With two subs, I would try stacking BOTH of them behind the TV console in the corner. Stacking the subs gives you twice the output! The corner walls will give you better bass.

2.gif

As colin stated, located in a corner will usually give you the most output, but might not give you the smoothest responce. Do you have any tools for setup such as an Spl meter and a setup/calibration disk? If you are truly looking for the best setup, then these are pretty much mandatory items. There are quite a few different discs available, and all are quite good. Not only do you want to set up the audio portion, you will benefit from calibration of the setting on your televison as well. If you don't have access to a setup disk, some movies have a Thx optimizer like Moulin Rouge.