Is it better to keep the subwoofer close or away from the seating area?

KAiN5 (banned )

Kain, you dont have a sub yet and you have only 129 posts or is this a new ID? How many Klipsch Kainers can there be in the Middle East?

The answer to positioning the sub depends on the loudspeakers, room, sub and budget. Deep main loudspeakers dont need a modest sub, something like the classic Klipsch corner Khorns need something that can go even deeper than they reach (25-30Hz). This means tubes like SVS or corner placement for powerful (and expensive, > $1,000) subs. The location of the home movie and music reproduction system makes a difference in the placement of the sub also. Sometimes, there is no corner room or the subs simply cant sit in front of the main speakers. If the sub is a modest one ($250 to 750), it probably has plenty of mid-bass and should be located where it contributes to the overall impression of the mid and upper bass near the main loudspeakers and the TV.

2.gif

one way to position a sub...is to hook it up but first place it where you normally sit and listen...

then walk around room to find the place where the bass sounds the best....this usually is the best place for the sub....

which most of the time is in a corner...so as not to get funky BASS sounds....

good luck

----------------

On 3/25/2004 5:07:27 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

If it were me I would try to keep the sub as far away as possible just so you don't get shaken out of your seat. If you like a lot of bass you may want to keep the sub closer to your seat.

----------------

Haha! My thoughts exactly!

i like to keep the subs as far away as possible because even though below 80Hz is "unlocateable", i can still tell where the subwoofer is coming from. having it farther away often helps me in creating that illusion that the sound is coming from everywhere.

In the current version of my Klipsch Legend Theater, the double-stacked SVS Ultras are in the front array just outside the Right Main and just inside the Right Front Effects speaker. The have a custom made false corner that flares the ports toward the center of a 30' circular room. The unit is fairly robust in order to get the doubling effect a solid corner has on bass production.

And, now to the point, Kain5! Good subwoofers do not leak harmonics that give your ears a clue to where the sounds below 80 Hz are coming from. However, the rush of air that comes from cones and ports can be so intense at high SPL's that you can feel the direction on your skin... even though your ears cannot determine a direction. So, by having the subs in the front in their own false corner there is more distance to the audience who are back at least ten feet from the big screen.

As I have commented before on other threads, your ear will associate the collateral sounds of an explosion (for example) and your brain will then associate the low end collateral sounds as coming from the direction of the high end collateral sounds. In simpler terms, the subwoofer can be in front of you but if your ear picks up the associated sounds from a rear effects speaker... you brain will tell you that the entire sound of the explosion came from the rear! -HornEd

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a firm believer that even though the sub frequencies are 'unlocatable' in terms of directionality ( and I even think that the ear can pick up the directionality of fairly low tones better than many practitioners of the sub/satellite systems expound- -just go outside and listen to a thunderstorm sometime- you can certainly tell where it is coming from), the human ear CAN detect even minor timing differences.

Therefore, my system has the sub right next to one of the Cornwalls. I would give primary consideration to the smoothness of the bass coming from the sub (ie, distance from front and side walls), but defininitely would not place the sub any substantial difference (say less than .5 or more than 1.5 x) in distance from the main speakers.

my .02

Michael