SC.5 Center Channel question

harperricharda

I just installed my new Synergy SC.5 in my HT system (to replace a Yamaha HTIB center speaker). I'm suprised at how narrow the dispersion is: if I move more than 3 feet to either side of the "sweet spot" directly in front of the center, movie voice dialogue becomes noticebly "muddier". Is this normal for this speaker? I've tried adjusting the delay settings and angle of the speaker without any noticeable effect.

as far as any hornloaded speaker, the dispersion pattern is generally much narrower, but 3 feet making a difference seems wrong to me. the klipsch site specs show that it has a 60 degree dispersion...how far away are you standing from it when doing this test?

I know exactly what your talking about. That was the only thing i didn't like about klipsch when i first got mine. I am used to it now and it sounds much better. Way good with dvd's. I was used to a huge soundstage even sitting away from the center. But i switched back for awhile after i got used to my klipsch. NO comparison the klipsch were just better. I didn't hear the clarity i got used to. Then when you are in the sweet spot well forget about it. Get used to that klipsch center then hook up another brand x, and tell me what you think. It will almost seem like that speaker sounds different. The one you thought had a good soundstage. It will seem muddled now. May be not but give the klipsch a chance you will get used to it and you won't turn back. I am thinking1.gif

Thanks very much for the feedback. Don't get me wrong, the overall sound quality is a quantum leap improvement over my old center channel speaker. I was just suprised at the dispersion pattern. I'm 8 feet from the center channel. I'll try adjusting my fronts to see if that will help "fill in" the sound-stage.