Newbie - Center question

neilo

Putting together my first HT setup. Just purchased a set of SB-1's and was looking for any suggestion for the center channel. The site recomends the SC5, but I can get an SC1 for a great price. Will this larger center overpower the SB-1's? I have a Denon RX3 receiver.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks

Welcome, Neilo. Your life and your wallet will never be the same!

You are looking for sonically matched front speakers. The SC-.5 has the identical tweeter as the SB-1s, has the same crossover point (2700 hz), and almost identical sensitivity (91 vs 92 db). The SC-1 uses a different tweeter, different crossover (lower), and different sensivity (higher - which means it will play louder with a given input signal - however, that can be adjusted in your receiver).

I'd say get the SC-.5. Can you get both and listen to them, and return the one you don't want?

Doug

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 07-03-2001 at 04:47 PM

Thanks for the ideas Doug, I figured as much after looking through the forum and seeing similar topics. Buying both really wasnt an option (the SC1 was back-ordered) so I grabbed the smaller one. It sounds terrific. The larger one definitely would have been to much, I had to turn down the center to even it out as it was.

Thanks again... Neil