Help on Multi-Channel Decoders

Klewless

Can someone recommend a good (but not overly mathematical) technical text for the way decoders handle the source for multi-channel?

I would like to know whether a derived center channel as performed by an AV receiver is different from the simple sum of L+R. I want to set up a three channel system but don't know how decoding is performed.

I realize that sources which originate for multi-channel are far better than trying to get phantom channels. I have too much two-channel stuff to just toss.

Thanks

BBB beat me to it but goto Dolby's website and poke around. There is a ton of great information there. The basic answer to your question is that for Dobly Surround all the information for L,C,R,Surrounds is analog and carried via the Left and Right channels. I would imagine that there is a way to get the Center channel information from this signal without a Dolby decoder if you knew the protocol can could design the circuit.

Now Dolby Digital 5.1 is a different ball of wax altogether. Each channel is discrete and you would need a digital decoder to get anything other than static out of it.

If you want to stick with two channel there are various higher end DVD players that will decode DD and DTS and output it via the 6 channel analog ports. This would mean you would need a seperate amp. On most of these you can tell the player to create a phantom center and other such tricks.

I would also add that it is possible, with the correct equipment, to have a single system that provides an awesome 2 channel and multi-channel experience. Myself and others here on this forum do it.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Just as a quick note -

The way I do this at my house is as follows. I have a H/K 510 that processes all of my digital, non HD video, and video analog sound signals (HD video switching is handled by a HD video switcher). The H/K is flexible so for the front mains ('76 Cornwalls) I bypass the H/k amps by taking the front L/R pre-amp out signal and run it into the AUX input on my Fisher 500B Receiver (of course you can pick your own amp here). By using the Fisher 500B to power the front mains I gain a tube amp, tube TT pre-amp, and tube tuner (FM only). I only use the Fisher when I am listening to vinyl or the radio. When I want to watch a movie (DVD or VHS), listen to a CD, DVD-A, SACD, or MP3's then I turn on both the Fisher and the H/K. All the signal processing, Center amplification ('67 Vet Cornwall), and Left Rear/Right Rear ('79 Cornwalls) amplification is handled by the H/K. The Front Left/Right amplification is still handled by the Fisher. This works really well and I like the setup.

Laters,

Jeff