Rotel Processor question

Darren

----------------

On 4/7/2004 8:36:16 PM markmaple wrote:

Is this cheater plug an adapter that takes a 3-prong plug to a 2-prong plug? All of the plugs on my equipment are 2-prongs.

----------------

Yup. I can see now it's not gonna help you. I'm suprised all of your equipment has 2-prong plugs, all of mine, both amps and pre-amp came with detachable 3-prong plugs.

Anyway, I wish you luck. It's a real pain to buy something new like that and end up tearing your hair out instead of enjoying yourself. I'm in the same boat.

I haven't fix it yet. I'm going to experiment a little more tonight. I tried someone's suggestion of daisy-chaining each component's chasis with a wire to make a common ground. It didn't seem to make a difference. I emailed Rotel and they responded quickly but they weren't really of any help. They suggested that I contact my dealer which I haven't done yet. I will report my findings after tonight's investigation.

After trying all sorts of combinations tonight, it seems to boil down to I get the hum when I have a video cable and an audio cable connected from the same component. I was always using the multi-channel inputs on the processor. I didn't think until now to try one of the other audio connections. If I only have an audio or video from a component, no hum. I can have an audio from one component and a video from a different component, no hum. I have experience the hum with two different DVD players and my satellite receiver. I guess I need to take the processor in and see what happens at the dealer.

Please keep us posted. It's really frustrating to keep hearing about people buying good gear and having these problems (I've now heard similar problems with NAD, Rotel, and one other known name I can't recall now) . Most seem related, directly or indirectly, with video connections. It's starting to cure my "upgrade-itus", and that's a shame. 7.gif

I took my equipment to the dealer today. With my speakers the hum showed up as expected. I also showed them an email exchange that I had with Rotel based on someone else's hum problem. The dealer called Rotel. Rotel said that they had a problem with either a loose or crossed wire creating an unintended loop. They are shipping out a new unit.

Was this a problem just with your unit or a design isssue? I picked up my 1068 last Friday and haven't hooked any video signals up to it.

I personally don't like the idea of having to turn it on when I'm just watching tv.

• Like 1

This apparently is not unique to my unit. It sounds like it was a problem with some but not all units. I would make an audio and a video connection to the same component (ex. DVD player) and see if you get a hum. Better to discover it now. If I had audio connected to one component and video connected to a different component, I did not get the hum. It had to be the same component.

----------------

On 4/13/2004 10:59:58 PM Darren wrote:

Please keep us posted. It's really frustrating to keep hearing about people buying good gear and having these problems (I've now heard similar problems with NAD, Rotel, and one other known name I can't recall now) . Most seem related, directly or indirectly, with video connections. It's starting to cure my "upgrade-itus", and that's a shame.
7.gif

----------------

That's kind of how I was feeling but now that all of the new stuff is on it's way back to the dealer I feel a little better. I imagine I'll get the itch back again once I know for sure I've gotten my money back.

• 2 weeks later...