OK, why do they put a high pass filter in subs?

boa12

ok, any sub that has one on the speaker outs. i already know enough about the speaker wire & klipsch t-shirts. how 'bout this? cwm20.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

So that when I wired my mom-in-laws sub/sat system,I could run speaker wire L/R front speaker outputs to sub inputs and sub high level outputs to the L/R front speakers thereby relieving the small front speakers the

responsibility of trying to reproduce the lows that they were unable to reproduce anyway and giving her receiver more headroom.Boy this is easy!

Keith

yes keith but does the sub have a high pass filter which filters out the bass to the mains at a certain point like 100hz thereby cutting bass at say 80hz that u would maybe rather have go to the mains than a sub woofer? see it's never that easy in my world Biggrin.gif

You are exactly right boa.The sub has a built in 6dB/octave speaker level high pass filter at 100Hz.It provides a smoothly contoured roll-off of the low frequencies going to the mains at approximately 80 Hz.

That seems to work well for the small ProMonitors as they can't reproduce the low bass anyway.

BTW,I have been pondering your situation and sorry to say don't have any worthwhile suggestions for you at this point.Good luck,

Keith

yea keith that was my theorum - it's there to provide a

smoother rolloff to the mains. shouldn't bother u if u

get better overall bass setting the low pass crossover below 80-100hz; i'd wanna set my low pass to the klf-30

probably down around 60hz for better 2 channel music bass. can't use the sub's low pass cross control though as it would also cut LFE. don't worry, the only

real solution would be a receiver that lets you control

the high pass cut to the channels set small. i was just looking for that scientific info on the filters.

which speakers did u get for her again? do they have the low pass in on the sub & if so where is it set? does her sony have that adjustable cut-off in it's bass mgmt? not suggesting any changes, just curious. cwm35.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Well boa,since I didn't know what I was doing when I originally set the system up I ran front speaker level

to sub,and the the high level sub outs to front L/R speakers.Ran (low level) receiver sub out to subwoofer LFE in.Set all speakers to small and crossover's to standard.Definitive recommends setting low pass crossover on back of sub to 2 o'clock position and sub gain to 11 o'clock position,for starters.I did this and it sounds great.Did try fronts set large and it sounded a little better.Even the wife thought so!I'm going to experiment a little more when I finish the macros and the fine tuning.The total setup is hellacious.Watched mom-in-laws DVD(Gone With The Wind) and the picture and sound is spectacular!The Sony333ES is well worth the price(spoke too soon before).The XBR is the best I've seen.I wouldn't think twice about buying a 32" or 36" XBR.Highly recommend it.Except for maybe an additional ProSub100TL(I'm bass greedy too)I could be perfectly happy with this complete system in my home,along with the thousands I'd have saved in my pocket.Total cost:36"XBR,Elite stand,SonyES receiver, Sony DVD,Sony VCR,DefTech speakers and sub,stands,wall brackets,Monster surge/conditioner,good to best interconnects and speaker wire......$4700.

Keith