Directed toward SomeGuy15

iXtreme

The wires included with the Crossfires wouldn't have cost Videologic more than $3 for the entire 10m. They *DON'T* package special wiring, just your standard copper cables.

There is *NO* special coating, *NO* special termination, *NO* special ANYTHING. Its just normal cheap copper wiring.

Where did you get that the Crossfires include thicker or better wires than the Klipsch? Have YOU seen them?

I never said that cables are completely useless. What I said is unless you're purchasing quality speaker (say $2K+), dont even bother brand-name or "special" cables.

ANY HALF-BRAINED IDIOT who knows anything about hifi will tell you that if you're purchasing a budget system (say under $1.5K), don't even think of spending any more than 50c/foot for speaker cable.

What I'm saying is a $595 speaker with $5 cables will sound better than a $500 speaker with $100 cables. Like I said, if you want to spend an extra $100 upgrading your Pros 4.1, you'd might as well go with the Crossfires. It sound better BECAUSE of the better (and more expensive) drivers, not because of some super cables.

If you spend $4K on a set of speakers, then go ahead and experiment with cables. *SOME* people have found cables to make a small difference.

I didn't say anything was bad about using gold plated connectors. In fact its the only way to go. FYI copper is a better conductor of electricity than gold. They use gold because it doesn't oxidise as easily.

Many manufacturers are forced to use thick brand-name wiring and 5-way binding posts because the public demands it, not because of any technical advantage.

To quote one of the manager of one of the country's largest speaker manufacturer:

"We use binding posts on our larger models because of consumer bias and appearance, not for any other technical reason."

This is exactly the same for cables. Many manufacturers have tested different cables and realised that differences are minimal if any at all. Are you willing to discount tests conducted by people such as John Dunlavy?

Why are there so many hifi cable companies? Its because audiophile are willing to believe anything.

Cables are cheap to make and its not easy to make a lousy cable. The mark-up is huge, meaning its good business. There are some who truly are into R&D into making better cable but most make up stupid claims which have NO scientific backing.

If you believe your wiring upgrade have made a huge difference then good for you. You believe what you want to. I'll stick to results from blind testing, eletronic theory as well as my experiences with hifi equipment.

quote:

Originally posted by SomeGuy15:

A "cable upgrade" option is stupid, especially considering that YOU'RE USING CHEAP COMPUTER SPEAKERS!

iXtreme, why are you argueing over cheapo plasitic computer speakers? Maybe the upgraded cables will make a very very small difference (I said maybe), but I doubt you will even notice the difference. Just for your information my computer sound setup comprises of:

Yamaha RX-V396 receiver

B&W DM601 S2 for the mains

B&W DM302 for the surrounds

I upgraded the standard 16 guage speaker wire to Monster cable, and guess what? No difference whatso ever, and you think upgrading the wire for your el-cheapo platic computer speakers will do you any good? Then go ahead, its not my money.