Imaging and Equalization...

after moving my furniture slightly (and my sub) and re-measuring the exact speaker distances to my "sweet spot" and the exact angle of toe-in of my KLF-30's... i again ran the MCAAC system on my pioneer elite vsx-55txi receiver.... (for those of you not aware of what this system does... it automatically sets the levels, delay, and equalization of all the speakers in your surround system)... just for the record... the speakers in the old arrangement were exactly the same distance from my "sweet spot" and the toe-in angle was exactly the same...

the result was that the main speakers (KLF-30's) were set at the same level...but the equalization on the five band equalizer changed...

sonically.... i have never experienced such a dramatic change in the stereo image!!!.... there is a "direct/stereo" button on the remote that bypasses all the MCAAC so you can go back and forth between the two settings on the fly.....

with the eq engaged you would almost swear the center channel is turned on for some instruments and vocals..... turn it off (the "direct" mode) and the sounds seem to shrink back into the speakers...

i've been listening now for about 3 hours to many different recordings... pop..jazz..classical... this improved imaging is present on all recordings to some extent..... some older jazz recordings that had been remastered from mono were almost unaffected...

i'm not sure what exactly has happened.... the furniture rearrangement was very slight... one chair moved to a different location.... the sub was moved about 3 feet closer to the center of the room... (but the sub is not used in two channel)...

whatever the cause... the result is a pair of KLF-30's that present an AWESOME stereo image!!!!!

1.gif

Well, since the sub is off that eliminates my first question. I would have to say that smothing the frequencies off really helps in letting you hear the whole picture. It adds and subtracts little if nothing from the whole recording and lets it shine through, IMHO. Also, if it extended the high frequencies, that can add to the perception of a larger/better image.

Just my 2 cents

Ben

This may track with my experience.

My observation is that some recording have strong center channel mono component. Lead singers are centered there without center channel speaker. This is particularly so when the room and speaker placement are very symetrical. There is a near perfect center phantom.

OTOH, some recordings do not have a strong center, and some rooms are not perfect. An added center channel speaker really fills in creating a bit of magic.

But there is no one center channel volume for all recordings. A little trimming is necessary.

Gil

Russ,

Write the settings down so that they cannot be lost. MCACC may never get the exact same result again. Next, draw a map of the changes in position of the sub and chair.

You may be able to do even better with more changes, but it would be a good idea to preserve the ability to go back to what you have.

Bill

i have written down the settings.....

the more i think about this whole situation...it becomes really apparent that it is not so much "speaker equalization" as room correction.....

here are the settings on the right and left speakers

frequency left right

63 hz +6.0 db +0.5 db

125 hz 0.0 db +5.0 db

250 hz -1.0 db -2.0 db

4 khz +3.0 db +2.5 db

11.3 khz -3.0 db -4.0 db

what really surprised me in these numbers was the 63 and 125 hz numbers that were so different from right to left and the fact that those lower frequencies make such an impact on the stereo image....

1.gif

i got a big improvement in 'imaging' or 'soundstage' by playing w/toe-in/out.

when i play a stereo source,i get a solid 'phantom' center(sounds like my tv tube is a speaker)WITH sounds coming from BEYOND the wall that is to the left and right of my speakers!!

so i get the solid center and sound beyond the left and right physical extremes of the room itself. i also get a 3-D (depth) to the sound as well. a good example is queensryche-Jet City Woman. when the jet flies over at the end of the song,not only does it move right to left, but FRONT to BACK as well!

minn_male

thanks for the info.

avman.