nuff about wires, need some pro advice.

iXtreme

My HT system has a C.V. 10" 100 watt downfiring sub. As you all know the Klip 4.1's are side firing. I now have heard both and think that down firing gives more of the cool floor rumbling then side firing does. IMHO. I was wondering if using brass spikes would better couple the 4.1's sub to the floor for more of a downfiring effect. I may not have a the subs sweet spot yet but due to unusually short cables on the control pod it's hard to have many options in placement without extra cables. Any ideas to better couple the sub to the floor would be greatly appreciated.

The principle at work is one of transferring as much acoustic energy to the air as possible. Toward that end, any vibration of the sub cabinet itself turns out to be somewhat "parasitic" (i.e., robs some of the energy and creates secondary radiations that may or may not sound "good" but are inaccurate - -especially in the time domain which relates to a tightness character).

With that in mind, adding spikes to the cabinet may improve the performance, but not because of coupling to the floor, but rather for stiffening the woofer enclosure, so that these parasitic vibrations are lessened.

The side firing aspect of the 4.1 helps reduce the parasitic vibrations itself, because of the dual opposing format. There is no "cabinet rocking" as you might find with single driver systems, so the parasitic vibrations are lessened at the start.

Bottom line? You might find enough of a difference using the spikes to make it worth the look. It should tighten it up some.

There is a competing school of thought that desires to distribute mechanical energy everywhere (such as with the class of transducers designed to couple to seats and dance floors, etc. "Buttkicker" is one brand that does this). Subwoofers are not normally designed to do this; some do, however, and some advocates of these products like it that way. It's a subjective thing; it may sound better to have this mechanical coupling for one reason or another; and from one viewpoint, who's to say it isn't more accurate to have a dinosaur stomp vibrate your floor? In the end, it is difficult to control, and is there even when there are no dinosaurs present....

Hope this is helpful.

-djf

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665