will thicker gauge wire help?

DannyPants

it seems my speakers do not get even power to each other because at lower volumes the right speaker is always louder, but when I crank the power they even out. Also, sometimes I have to jiggle the connectors to the speakers for sound to even come out at all, I used the speaker wires that came with the speakers fro Klipsch, would it help if i used thicker gauge wires? Also, would it make them sound better? thanks. sorry if Im a n00b. :(

Oh yeah, i have the Promedia 2.1 THX certified speakers (240 watts I beleive, thats what is written on the sub).

Danny, it sounds like you have a connection problem. Changing to a larger wire may help, but not because of the wire itself; you may effect a change in the poor connection by the act of changing the wire itself, not because you're using a different wire gauge. Have you tried disconnecting the wires completly, then starting from scratch? Sorry I am not that familiar with the 2.1 system, if they use special terminations to the speaker wires, there may be a problem in the termination itself.

the speaker cables run from the subwoofer to the seperate left and right speakers, on the sub it has the clamping type of connection, on the speakers there is a 1/8 inch connector, and when my sound cuts out if I rotate the 1/8th connector the sound will come back in. Maybe something is wrong with the 1/8 plugs?

Yes, wire gauge can make a difference in the quality of the sound you hear, but not one that would change from L to R speaker. Do a search for Wire, it has been covered many times on the forum. HOWEVER, it really sounds like your having problems getting the same sound out of each speaker, which would not be a wire gauge issue, assuming you aren't running 12 gauge on one and 32 on the other. The factory wires should provide perfectly acceptable sound, unless there is a problem with the connections or a partial break in the wires themselves. The fact that you have the same wire to both speakers and different sound from them is telling you something, you just need to isolate the bad connection, sounds like the 1/8 connector is bad internally, or the wire at the exact point that it enters that connection.

If you swap wires and the problem "stays" with one channel, it's either the speaker in question or the amp.

To chase down the amp being the cuplrit, use only the SAME speaker and connect it in turn to the amp one channel at a time, using the same set of wires and do not adjust the volume. If the apparent volume changes between the channels, then its the amp. If not chase the wires, then the speakers.

Swap the wires to the speakers leaving the amp connections alone. If the problem moves with the wires, its the wires/crossover and/or connection.

If the wire swap doesn't change and one speaker remains "softer" than the other, its the speaker or the crossover or internal wiring, and there you go...

Given that the wires are matched in size and length, and that they have a good connection on each end, then more than likely any balancing problem is with the amp.

"it seems my speakers do not get even power to each other because at lower volumes the right speaker is always louder, but when I crank the power they even out"

Sounds like the volume control is bad dude.

But go ahead and put on garden hose cables if it makes you feel better.