Magnetic Shield for my Woofer

BillJenkins

Hey, I've built an in-wall cabinet for my entertainment center and have a cubby underneath the TV for my subwoofer. Only problem - my TV's magnetics get screwed up when I put the woofer in place. Any ideas on how to easily/cheaply block the magnetic field?

Thanks - Bill

Basically you have your unshielded sub too close to the TV so there are a coupe of possible solutions i could think of :

1) easiest is to move the sub out from under the TV and place it in a corner, where it will technically perform better acoustically too.

2) Open up you sub and get yourself a correctly sized FERRITE BUCKING MAGNET which will help reduce the magnetic field generated outside your sub. Note I said REDUCE

3) The most difficult is to add steel sheathing around your sub (or inside the cabinet) to help reduce the problem. It will take some trial and error to chase down the stray magnetic fields.. Grounding the steel will improve your chances of success...

Good luck...

Rob