speaker calibration advise

ric

It is really a fine balancing act between the master volume and the channel levels. The idea is not to max out any one setting. It may take several tries to get it all balanced. For instance on my HK 510 the channel levels go from -10 to +10 and the main volume goes from -80 to +10. I wanted to get my channel settings as close to zero as possible and this resulted in setting my main volume at -10.

A good starting point would be to set your channel levels in the middle of their range (zero in my case but perhaps 5 or 20 for you), start the test tone, and then increase the main volume until you hit 75dB on the left front speaker. Take a note of the main volume level and then continue to balance the rest of the system using the channel levels.

Laters,

Jeff

"A good starting point would be to set your channel levels at zero, start the test tone, and then increase the main volume until you hit 75dB on the left front speaker."

This is right (or at least partially, where you set the dBs will depend on the disk). The test tracks on test disks are recorded a certain level in relationship to reference (or in relationship to having the signal on the disk being maxed out at 0dB... the signal on any disk can be recorded at zero where it cant be recorded any louder down to -xxx where it would be inaudable regardless of how much you turn it up). On Avia and Video essentials, you should set your left speaker to +-0 and then turn the volume up to either 75 or 85 dB on the meter. I think Avia is 85 and and VE is 75 but I'm not positive. What this does, is it means that your receiver has to put out that many watts to reach reference levels at audio peaks on a disk where the levels havent been reduced like the test tones have. This also tells you where reference is on your dial. This is the best way to calibrate. Some people also recommend finding the # where you listen at and using that, even if it means your test tones are at 60dBs because THAT is the amount of power your receiver puts out when you are listening, regardless of reference. I dont like that method though because once you get down into the 60s or lower, you run the risk of other sounds effecting your reading. I like to calibrate at either 75 or 85 dBs.

----------------

On 4/15/2004 9:52:22 AM imahawki wrote:

"A good starting point would be to set your channel levels at zero, start the test tone, and then increase the main volume until you hit 75dB on the left front speaker."

This is right (or at least partially, where you set the dBs will depend on the disk). The test tracks on test disks are recorded a certain level in relationship to reference (or in relationship to having the signal on the disk being maxed out at 0dB... the signal on any disk can be recorded at zero where it cant be recorded any louder down to -xxx where it would be inaudable regardless of how much you turn it up). On Avia and Video essentials, you should set your left speaker to +-0 and then turn the volume up to either 75 or 85 dB on the meter. I think Avia is 85 and and VE is 75 but I'm not positive. What this does, is it means that your receiver has to put out that many watts to reach reference levels at audio peaks on a disk where the levels havent been reduced like the test tones have. This also tells you where reference is on your dial. This is the best way to calibrate. Some people also recommend finding the # where you listen at and using that, even if it means your test tones are at 60dBs because THAT is the amount of power your receiver puts out when you are listening, regardless of reference. I dont like that method though because once you get down into the 60s or lower, you run the risk of other sounds effecting your reading. I like to calibrate at either 75 or 85 dBs.

----------------

Well said...

AVIA....says for theater like sound start at 85 dBc slow scale.... but this may be too loud for some...so then use 75 dBc slow scale....as this is most realistic for home theaters.....

And remember this number on your master volume knob.....so when ya watch DVD's you can put it to this setting for the best experience...

Good luck

I also suggest watching all the beginning parts of the AVIA test DVD as it explains all of this and a bunch more...