HK AVR7200 EZset, Can dbs be quieter than -15?

Hard 21

When doing the EZset, it is recommended to start with the volume at -15. Do they think that is the normal listening volume. It is way too loud for me. I was wondering if I should try the EZset with the initial volume a little lower. Should I? And what is referenc level?

I'd doubt if EzSet would properly work at a lesser volume. It's not a matter of the volume being so loud when you perform the setup that you would use those levels personally all the time - but, it's that loud so EzSet can properly perform the readings to make the adjustments.

If setting it to such a high volume level to perform the setup, why not just put in some earplugs when you do the setup? Just a thought.

Agreed. The setting of -15dB is just for the benefit of the remote; it needs a specific volume from which to work, and has nothing to do with what the end user will hear (volume wise). I used the EZset function on my AVR430, had the very same reaction (loud), but knew it was not permanent. Enjoy!!

Popbumper9.gif

Although -15 on the dial is probably supposed to get you close to an actual SPL (say 85dB) like you would use on Avia. This more than anything, is probably to overcome room noises, etc. but with such efficient speakers, it may not be necessary to turn it up that loud. I'm just guessing here.