20 kids, 30 adults 1 clown and loud music.....

maxg

Baby's formal 2nd birthday party on Saturday night. With all the above in attendence.

The Clown was free with the pizza (not kidding - special offer from our local supplier - spend over $100 on Pizza for kids party and they throw in a Clown) - quite good too - kept them busy. We added additional food as well - way too much - had 5 people round on sunday to help finish off the food!!

All in all I think everyone had a great time. Fortunately the weather was fine so many spilled out into the garden - it would have been pretty packed otherwise, and unbearable - read on.

I think my daughter is destined for the stage - she was dancing on the coffee table in front of a large and admiring croud. Proud Dad again - sorry.

Anyway the point of all this is as follows:

As you probably all know I am not one to listen to music loud. Further, my tastes are such (almost entirely classical) that bass doesnt enter into things much.

As I am currently sans Klipsch my system uses my own home built speakers. These have lowly 8 inch woofers in a sealed box so bass is not the strongest suite - it is more present than on the Heresies they placed but not a match for the larger Heritage range, let alone the RF7's / KLF 30's and so on.

Bottom line on all of this waffle is that I never thought of my system as a party item. Add into the mix that my amplification is EL34 based (although at 70 watts it is a bit more powerful than most) and I think you can get a picture of what I expect from my playback.

I was wrong, however.

Normally my volume control (which turns from 7 o'clock to past 5 o'clock) has never ventured past 1. As the party progressed the music got progressively louder. Once the clown retired for the evening someone produced a CD for the kids - the Candy Girls (root canal for your ears if you ask me - but the kids adore it).

Things were not too bad at first - I could stay in the room and continue a conversation, just about. Then Tony arrived and banished me to the garden. tony likes his volume.

Even in the garden I noticed the music was pounding in a way I had never heard before. That is impressive I thought. Re-entering the room was like walking into a wall. Kids are going bonkers all over the place - even the adults are dancing. I glance at the volume controls - 4 o'clock. Tony grinning like a Cheshire cat - "I cant believe it either" he screamed at me. The music was pounding and the bass....my God...who knew it could do that??? (Remember I used to have Heresies with a Rel Strata 3 sub - I know what bass sounds like - but I never reached this volume).

I didnt have the presence of mind to take a measurement (the meter was buried in a back room anyway - probably under piles of coats) - I guess over 105 dB continuous and no, I repeat no, sign of distortion - Jesus it was loud.

After a little while I managed to adapt to the level and dance along with my daughter - great fun all in all. Various Greek CD's followed on from the Candy Girls (Tony's picks) - some of them not bad - and a few of the adults started what amounted to Greek Dancing lessons for the kids - all we needed was some plate smashing and it would have been complete (we had paper plates fortunately so our crockery survived).

Anyway the last of the stragglers left around 2 am (those without kids) and the mess was moderate (2 hours on Sunday morning and we had it licked).

The Funny thing is this. Every other time I have listened to music approaching this level of volume I go to bed with my ears ringing - not this time. No ringing at all - as if it hadnt happenned. I wonder why? Is this a feature of tube amps?

Nice to know I have a party system though....

Did I mention it was loud?

Max.. Outside or in a really open room (doors and windows open) helped your ears a lot. Especially in the high frequencies over time.

Also, since you were not right up next to the speakers 2-3 feet or less away for any length of period and a lot of diffusers..(people dancing) this helped too.

Last, and not least, even with the "Candy Girls"... Clean music recorded well... and played back on a distortionless system... is actually enjoyable cranked a little too.

Enjoy it that way once in a while! I have had the rare opportunity to stand next to a conductor as he was directing the local symphony for a while. Just an incredible experience I will never forget! Standing in front of them on stage singing as a soloist almost as good, but trust me from the conductors point of view.... Breathtaking! O.K., an "Eargasm"

http://www.greekbooks.gr/cd/showCd.asp?aiD=101&ItemCode=097123

Looks like fun!!

Wow Indy,

I am impressed you found that on line.

As for the quality of the source - I was using my $70 DVD player - how good could it be???

Actually it was a whole lot better than I would have expected - that unit continues to amaze me each time I play it - not a match for my vinyl setup but it cost about 4% of that.

One thing though - the slide out tray has a habit of closing by itself - this is a new thing - I think I am starting to see where they cut corners. Plays fine though...