TV hum in RC-25 center speaker

PowerJP

I've just purchased a RC-25 center speaker.

Great crisp sound but as soon when I power my 27" Sony TV I hear a low level hum into the speaker. I powered off the amp and the hum is still there. I even removed the wire to the speaker without improvement. The hum is comming from both mid-range cones and from the tweater. When I remove the jumpers from the back of the speaker (high-low connections) the hum disapear from the tweater but is still comming out from the mids even with absolutly no wire connected to RC-25.

The RC-25 sits directly on top of the TV. If I move it a few feet away the hum disapear.

It looks like EMI to me. Does anybody have a clue how to solve this problem?

----------------

On 4/19/2004 3:11:03 PM Steve P wrote:

The speaker is acting like a radio...picking up something the tv is putting out.

fix... not one that is more easy than moving the speaker away from the tv ...most the time a foot or so will do it.

----------------

I moved it 10" up and the hum is gone. It's a pain as a have a very nice furniture just over the TV. There is a vertical fixed divider exactly where I "should" put the RC-25 to get rid of the noise.

----------------

Try placing the speaker upside down, let me know if this addresses it

----------------

I tried it, doesn't help at all.

Maybe I should get it back to the store and try another model?

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 4/30/2004 12:22:51 PM PowerJP wrote:

I brought the speaker back to the store. The salesman said it's the first time in 17 years heard of such problem. He gave me is demo RC-25 to try it out. Does exactly the same thing.

----------------

THe problem is the TV....not the speaker.....as stated above...

Have to move speaker or get new TV.....

Yeah, I think the raster of the CRT is getting into an inductor or even the voice coils. It may sound more like a buzz than a hum. Is that correct.

Shielding problems like this are sometimes cured with shields made of mu metal, a type of steel which is very pervious to magnetic fields.

Just to experiment. . . do you have a steel cooky sheet around the kitchen. Try putting it under the speaker. If it is made of steel it might, might provide some shielding. Try any big steel or iron plate. Perhaps a cast iron skillet would work too. It just looks silly.

Please report back, good or bad, for the benefit of others.

Gil

• 2 weeks later...

I exchanged the RC-25 for a Mission M3C2. Same problem. I wasn't able to do a direct side by side comparaison, but it seems similar in tone and volume. My wife did find it worst. I returned it to the store and brought back the first RC-25.

I since found out that the hum/noise is somehow louder when my amplifier (brand new Denon 1604) is turned ON. The noise volume is not varying with the output of the amp, it's constant level. If I listen to the TV without using the amplifier / RC-25 the noise is still there but it's volume is really low and I almost cannot pick it when I sit about 12 feet from the TV. There's no difference then if the RC-25 cable is connected or not.

I need to try a few tricks next weekend. I will let you know if I come up something.