The Debate Over Speaker Break-in Period Continues...

I picked up my fresh, new KLF 30s from my friendly K Store today to replace the ones that had been damaged during shipment. Oh, man, I LOVE the smell of the freshly cut wood and the pungent aroma of the glue! No, not enough for a buzzcwm32.gif;it's kinda like the new car smell! Ahhh...

So, I marked the spots on the carpet before I moved my "old" 30s (barely three months of age), packed 'em up, and hustled 'em to the truck, and off we went. Checked the new ones out thoroughly before I left the store, because I have no desire to hustle these things again for some time! Much to my relief, these were perfect. We lifted the boxes up with the speakers upside down, so I was able to get a real good peek inside through vented ports. On the previous two pair of Legends, one could easily see the sloppy application of glue and paint speckles. These looked as good inside as they look outside! My K guy is fairly sure that these came from the final production run--I'm wondering why these look so much better? Could it be they decided to take extra care for their final run? I was actually worried the opposite may have happened; that they may have slapped them together just to get them out the door. I'm glad my fears were unwarranted! Nonetheless, the quality of this pair is vastly superior to the ones they are replacing. BobG, would you care to comment on this?

This is not to say that the previous pair didn't perform adequately; they seemed to work just fine. I asked to return them due to damage to the veneer from rough handling during shipping, and that one of the wood screws holding in one of the woofers had been screwed in at a severe angle, and had damaged the frame of the speaker (another quality issue).

I got home, and placed the speakers in the exact same position as the older ones, and guess what. They sound exactly the same! I had selected a few pieces of music that show off the bass response of the twin twelves, and the spankin' new speakers sounded exactly like the ones that were several hundred hours old.

To the folks who have said that it may be one's perception that the bass is improving rather than the notion that the suspension on the woofers was actually getting more pliable with extended use, I believe I will have to change my opinion and side with the enemy!

Obviously, this topic so subjective that extended debate can prove both fruitless and ridiculous, I nevertheless feel that I was in somewhat of a rare position to perform a relatively objective evaluation. If someone had swapped the speakers without my knowledge, I believe the only way I would have discovered the switcheroo is the noticeable aroma of fresh wood and glue!

Well, for what it's worth, I tend to agree with your newly adopted 'viewpoint' Smile.gif

Of course, I liked the sound of the speakers I have right out of the box, so for me, is that considered a 'break in' period? heehee

I think 'break in' is one of two possible things:

1. Break in of the speakers themselves (woofers, tweeters, etc.)

2. Break in of the listener's auditory reception and /or interpretation skills.

Well, now that I've narrowed it down... Cool.gif

------------------

RF-3 Mains

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Surrounds

Sony SAWM40 Subwoofer

Technics SA-DX1050 receiver

Panasonic DVD-RV31K DVD player

JVC 32" TV

Not too bad, I must say...

This message has been edited by Zargathos on 07-07-2001 at 10:42 PM

Hello fellow Klipschers,

I too have recently received a paif of KLF 30's, serial number KLF30BS01140139, inspected by what appears to be MD.

I had read on this board that the panels can come loose. One of the Klipsch guys (BobG or PhilH) responded that Klipsch will take care of such a problem or has taken care of the problem and that the RF-7's are put together in a superior fashion.

I was wondering, however, are all KLF-30's suspect for the coming apart problem?? Was there a process change made at the factory once the problem was made known??

Elsewhere on this board recently ( click here ) a kind fellow posted pictures of the guts of his 30's after his speaker enclosure came apart. I must admit, I was not too impressed with the insides.... I realize that these things weren't made to come apart but man, it looked like the speaker was slapped together by Billy-bob behind the shed using some plywood and foam and he used copius amounts of glue which just ran all over.

I dare not peek into my ports in the back...

Do my speakers sound good?? Yes. But it's kind of like eating, you do eat with your eyes as well, i.e. food can look good..... and what one sees can influence the ears.

Mace

This message has been edited by mace on 07-08-2001 at 03:10 PM

My congrats as well, Mr. Blorry! If you ever meet with another fall out, try a "Deadhead" mallet from Home Depot to pop the motor board intact. Smash.gif

Oh, and for a virtuoso review of the KLF 30, check out mdeneen's AudioReview eloquence!cwm32.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF C7 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Cornwall II / KSW-15 Music Room Under Construction