Multi inputs for DVDs?

Darren

My processor re-set to the factory settings last night (babysitter playing around too much). Anyway, my wife was trying to play a DVD and got the picture fine (DVD player is connected directly to the TV), but no sound as the default was Co-axel and I have Optical connections. Anyway, my wife starts playing with things and get's sound when selecting the multi-inputs. I have these RCA cables hooked up for SACD and DVD-A, never occured to me to use them for DVD's.

Now the question - has anyone compared sound between the digital and Multi connections for DVDs? I believe the Multi connections by-pass the digital components of the processor. Anyway, I'll play around with it a little later, just wanted to see if anyone has done any comparisons on this.

Thanks

it also depends on how the bass management is done within your processor.....

for example... my elite 55txi does not do any processing at all if i use the 6 channel analog inputs.... the signal goes directly to the amp sections bypassing all of the bass management.... if i use the digital input.... then the signal is processed in the digital domain before being converted to the analog for amplification.....

just use the one that sounds best in your system.....

cheers!

1.gif

Recently got a new DVD/SACD player, so this is a new frontier of exploration for me: are the DAC's better in my Phillips player or my Marantz receiver/processor?

So far, the jury is still out. They both sound different, but not enough to make a case for either just yet. I think I still need to get the bass management settings on the Phillips right for this to be a fair comparison.