God's Own Sub

TheSoundBroker

Okay...we just became the U.S. rep for Whise and we have the only 616 sub in the U.S. on the way to us. For those of you who are not familiar with it...do a search on Yahoo for CES Surround Super Session. Put it this way...it is "adequate". Only a built in massive horn system will out do it...

Here are some of the specs...

125DB capable from 16 hz to 100 hz.

>1.3% THD in the passband (16 hz to 100hz) at 115 db.

575 lbs.

48" x 48" x 52"

Four 15" custom designed drivers.

Co-Designed by Neville Thiel and Tom Holman

$19.5K with a 300 watt Bryston Powerpac 300 amp...more than "adequate"

This sub is sick sick sick! 9.gif

We are getting in some serious bass trappage before we put it on display.

Need a Sub that will keep up with you K-Horns...here ya go!

Kevin

The Sound Broker

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dipole subs are....

About 115dB from 16-90Hz, give or take a few dB.

THD is low enough to where I nor anyone else can notice it (the cones hardly move)

125lbs each channel

24" x 24" x 48"

Four 15" Pyle Pro PPA15 Drivers

Flat from 90Hz down to 20Hz, and only down -3dB at 16Hz.

Carver M400t running @ 4 ohms providing 300 watts per channel (never even gets warm)

$160 for all four drivers, $25 for .75" MDF and screws.

I haven't found a pair of speakers yet that these dipole subs don't match up to perfectly.

Bassmaxx b-one

Cabinet Type: BASSMAXX technology horn

Cabinet Construction: 18mm (3/4") Birch plywood, strategically braced. Integrated handles

Cabinet Dimensions: 48" wide by 22.5" high by 48" deep, (52.75" deep with wheels attached)

Weight: <245 lbs (Driver and finish chosen effects overall weight.)

Connectors: Dual Neutrik NL4, parallel wired with user-selectable pin assignments. Custom input panels on request.

Grilles: Perforated, powder coated 14-gauge steel.

Drivers: 18" diameter

4" diameter voice coil

1000 Watts RMS power handling

22.5" high - will fit through standard and commercial door openings

Drivers used - choice of mcauley 6174 driver or the aura nrt18-8 ( formerly the 1808 )

Preliminary Performance Data:

Data calculated for half-space conditions

B-One

Data for Two Cabinets

Frequency Response: 20Hz to 90Hz. +-5dB

Sensitivity (1W @ 1M): 110dB

Long Term Max Output: 137dB (calculated)

Short Term Peak output: 142dB (calculated)

The b-one has a mouth that is too small for reproducing the lowest octave. However, when several units are stacked, the effective mouth area is increased.

There are two b one demo's advertised on the bassmaxx website with slightly scratched paint finish, and the mcauley drivers for $ 1700.00 each

----------------

On 4/25/2004 9:14:17 PM chops wrote:

----------------

On 4/25/2004 9:01:24 PM Tweek wrote:

nice sub! it can probably run right beside that $19k sub for a sliver of the price

----------------

Thanks! I bet it can hold its own pretty well against that monster.
2.gif

----------------

Output wise...yes. Overall...probably not. This beast has the lowest group delay,

the lowest distortion level, the highest linearity, highest efficiency and the most control of amplitude and phase of any sub ever measured. If anybody is familiar with Tom Holman's "The Hollywood Edge" test disc series and the infamous "boinker" tests which are just about the most brutal tests for a subwoofer imaginable...this is the sub that that disc was developed with and the only one that passes the tests perfectly. It was developed using an entirely new method of acoustical enclosure design called Parametric Acoustic Modeling (PAM).

Here is a link to a brief description by Tom Holman of what PAM does...

http://www.whise.com.au/popups/popup_tech_tom.pdf

The sub will output 125db at any of the passband frequencies from 16 hz to 150hz with absolute linearity. We've had some pretty over the top designs, both home built and commercial, and nothing approaches this beast for overall performance. Yah, it is big and expensive, but it is the best.

Cheers,

Kevin

The Sound Broker

Yawn. If you've come here to this forum to try to sell us that $19,500 subwoofer its not working mate.

SoundBroker - Yah, it is big and expensive, but it is the best. -

sigh

You sound like a BOSE salesman that thinks their systems are the best when all they are is overpriced crap, seriously dude.

Sorry if i sound like a jerk.

----------------

On 4/26/2004 4:03:03 PM Tweek wrote:

Yawn. If you've come here to this forum to try to sell us that $19,500 subwoofer its not working mate.

SoundBroker - Yah, it is big and expensive, but it is the best. -

sigh

You sound like a BOSE salesman that thinks their systems are the best when all they are is overpriced crap, seriously dude.

Sorry if i sound like a jerk.

----------------

The Bose comment is the ultimate insult 7.gif. I'd have us both pick up our subs and go 20 paces turn and hit play, but I'd be crushed and killed under the weight of this thing 14.gif. Bose is the Evil Empire of audio and we spend a *lot* of time getting people into Klipsch instead. I just saved another soul this weekend from a fate more horrible than death by turning them away from becoming cube people and turning them into a Reference Cinema 10 system owner...so I've done my good deed for the week.

Seriously, I have no illusions about selling the sub to forum members, just letting people

know about the piece in a forum where people obviously love deep bass.

We've already sold one to a client of ours who already has an over the

top PMC MB-2/XBD speaker package and is setting up a HUGE system in a 6000 ft2 top floor

of a commercial building he bought. That is the kind of person who will buy this

monstrosity.

Overpriced Crap? We sell Bryston and Theta for electronics, Klipsch Reference and THX Ultra, and PMC for loudspeakers...some of THE best speaker lines on the market (Klipsh for value vs. performance, Klipsch THX Ultra2 for killer dedicated theater systems and PMC for unlimited performance music/cinema systems. These lines have proven credential in the consumer and professional fields and none are "overpriced crap".

The Whise is definitely not crap. It is a serious step up in development and technology from any other sub on the market, homebuilt or not. It has the pedigree, the test results (which don't lie) and the guys behind it have the credentials, the AES papers and the experience to back up the claims. It is expensive because the development costs to build the beast were ridiculous. It is an over the top design and that type of product is rarely cheap or easy to deal with. Face it, much of the stuff people talk about on this forum is over the top for most people and we are all considered sorta looney by the general populus. 3.gif

If people are happy with their subs, cool. We just finised watching Blue Man Group DVD with the RSW-15 sub hooked in and we were digging it big time. But to claim you can build something just as good or better...sorry. With subs, you usually CAN build your own for less that will equal or outperform most commercial designs...but in this case it just isn't possible within any reasonable limits of pracicality for the average person. They have stacked the deck in their favor and until the PAM modeling techniques are available to the general public like the current Thiele Small parameters are, there just isn't a way to do it. If you take the time to read the papers, PAM modeling really is a step forward in deep bass design.

Now...I'm gonna go watch that DVD again lest I grab some PVC pipe and start banging on it... 9.gif

Kevin

The Sound Broker

I am gone a few days and newbies start running this place! 7.gif

Well welcome newbs,the subsonic subhuman will return...in a few days.

Both the BASSMAXX horn loaded and the WHISE 616 sub plus the other giants are not practical for home use.These subs are for theaters

----------------

On 4/26/2004 1:59:52 PM SoundBroker wrote:

----------------

On 4/25/2004 9:14:17 PM chops wrote:

----------------

On 4/25/2004 9:01:24 PM Tweek wrote:

nice sub! it can probably run right beside that $19k sub for a sliver of the price

----------------

Thanks! I bet it can hold its own pretty well against that monster.
2.gif

----------------

Output wise...yes. Overall...probably not. This beast has the lowest group delay,

the lowest distortion level, the highest linearity, highest efficiency and the most control of amplitude and phase of any sub ever measured. If anybody is familiar with Tom Holman's "The Hollywood Edge" test disc series and the infamous "boinker" tests which are just about the most brutal tests for a subwoofer imaginable...this is the sub that that disc was developed with and the only one that passes the tests perfectly. It was developed using an entirely new method of acoustical enclosure design called Parametric Acoustic Modeling (PAM).

Here is a link to a brief description by Tom Holman of what PAM does...

The sub will output 125db at any of the passband frequencies from 16 hz to 150hz with absolute linearity. We've had some pretty over the top designs, both home built and commercial, and nothing approaches this beast for overall performance. Yah, it is big and expensive, but it is the best.

Cheers,

Kevin

The Sound Broker

----------------

Please, please, don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing you or that sub at all. I'm just looking at it from a price to performance ratio.

However, claims of it having the lowest group delay, the lowest distortion level, and the highest linearity may or may not be totally accurate. Sure, maybe at it's MAX output. But who plays it that loud all the time?

Take my DIPOLE subs for instance.....

They have vertually "ZERO" group delay at any level or frequency because they are not in an enclosure of any kind, just a large open baffle.

The distrortion level is lower than most because they are so efficient, (I think somewhere around 106dB @ 1 watt/1 meter). Even at the highest volumes that I've played them, with any type of bass material, the drivers barely move and the amplifier barely gets warm over several hours of constant use.

Linearity? With my Dipole subs, I can have my system playing at whisper levels late at night, or playing full blast in the middle of the day, and the bass quality and quantity sounds exactly the same, just louder.

Plus, I have yet to hear a subwoofer system other than mine to be able to tell the minute differences between bass instruments.

Anyway, both systems are good, I just feel mine would be the better bang for the buck, at any price. 2.gif

"I'm not a noob, i've been installing car audio professionaly for years, just because i started coming here i'm instantly considered a noob that knows nothing about audio?"

Take it easy,good to see new life on the forum.This section was getting slow of late.I hope some of you take over the sub section.