Klipsch in ceiling speaker for whole house audio

JohnESwanson

I am building a new home and would like to configure it for whole house audio. My local home audio installer uses Posh or BIC speakers. I am a big fan of Klipsch, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that they have a full line of in-ceiling and in-wall speakers.

I am considering SCR-2s or SCR-3s in some rooms, and CS-650-RSM (summed mono) in others. The local home audio expert tells me that the summed mono (plays L & R combined) is a good choice for small rooms (eg. bathroom) or rooms without a well defined listening area (eg. kitchen/dinnette area). This seems like a good idea. It avoids having the listener only hear one channel in one half of the room and the other when in the half of the room. One worry though, is that the CS-650-RSM is so much cheaper that I wonder if it will sound any good at all. At its low price point, I wonder if it was designed for elevator usage? Would I be better off buying a stereo pair (SCR-2 or SCR=3) and placing them relatively close together. Does anyone have any first hand experience with these speakers (SCR-2, SCR-3, CS-650-RSM) ? Opinions on these speakers or on stereo pair versus summed mono for a room?

I am also planning a home theater in the basement family room. The room is 18x23, but only one end will be used for the home theater. A small built-in cabinet at the front leaves me with minimal room for the front speakers. In am considering SB-3s for the front with a SC-1 for the center (these would be hidden in the cabinet), a KSW12 for the sub (placed under an end table), and SCR-2s or SCR-3s in the ceiling for the rear. If funds allow, I may add SCW-2s or SCW-3s on the sides. Any opinions on these selections or placements?

I will only get one shot at this so I want to do it right. Thanks for your comments!

------------------

John S.

• 1 month later...

I too am building a house and would like to install ceiling speakers in the Great Room, which has vaulted ceilings. The Klipsch speakers I currently own are: RF-3 and RC-3. I am looking at the RCW-5 model and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this model. I also wanted to know any information on how best to place the ceiling speakers in a vaulted ceiling. One more question: I'm building my house in Phoenix, AZ (Glendale/Phoenix border) and I am not very familiar with the city, would anyone know of an honest and good dealer that I could speak with. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to get some action on this thread. I too am considering some in wall/in ceiling speakers for sites in my remodeling house where music might add a nice touch. Does anybody have any experience with Klipsch's products in terms of sound quality and installation?

drobo

• 2 weeks later...

OK Guys, I just built a new home and pre-wired everything and installed a pair of Klipsch IC-525's in my Master Bathroom Ceiling. These were the smallest in-ceiling speakers they made and are now discontinued I believe. But I couldn't be more pleased with the sound these things pump out.

You can't go wrong IMO with their in-ceiling/wall products.......BUT to ask them to compare to floorstandings or bookshelfs is not realistic due to the lack of enclosure...The tradeoff is simple in-wall/ceiling speakers are designed for 1) background music or whole house audio and 2) where floorstanding or bookshelf speakers just aren't appropriate due to space or WAF.

I would not use inwalls/ceiling speakers for an HT setup unless it was absolutely necessary...for obvious sound quality reasons.

I have quite a few Klipsch products as you will see below and I love getting up everyday and jamming my MB speakers!! Highly recommend you guys building new houses pre-wire your master bathrooms and add a in-wall volume control and keep the receiver in your Master Bedroom and run the speaker B channel to the bath like I did...total cost for great tunes in my Master bath was less than $200 and a couple hours of thought and labor.

Good Luck

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's (2 Pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates

Niles in-wall volume controls

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Panamax DBS-8 Surge Protector

Klipsch IC-525's in Master Bath

13" Sony Wega in Master Bath

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

• 1 month later...

I have the SCW-1's as surrounds and am pretty happy with them. I also have SCW-1's in the dining room and think they sound good there too. Outside, we have HS-1's which are ok. Our center channel is a SC-1 and the front left and right speakers are SA-1's. This system was put together by our audio guy as a compromise between form and function. The SCW-2's are a better matchf for the center but size was an issue. Likewise, while I like the speakers, I am still ambivalent about the fronts...I would at least switch to a bookshelf if I could....anyway, I digress. I have read that in walls and ceiling speakers aren't the greatest for surrounds but what I have sounds good to me.....but I am not the most sophisticated listener