Question about LFE channel in first matrix movie

Swerv

Hi, If i could ask a favor from you people with nice HTs. Im currently in a discussion with someone about the openning scene in the first matrix movie where trinity jumps up and kicks the cop, during that scene some guy claims that there is no LFE information at all being sent to the sub and that its only comming out of the surround channels. I have asked several of my friend with HTs to confirm this and they mention that the majoirty of the low bass in that scene (primarily a 35hz tone ) is comming from the LFE channel and that that guys setup must be wack.

If someone could confirm that in that scene there is some LFE content going on that would be great. (first matrix movie btw, when she does the bullettime kick up in the air)

If I remember correctly the way it works is the 5.1 stream sends bass information to all of the channels but the majority in flashy scenes is sent to the LFE channel for the sub to use. correct me if im wrong here especially in this scene.

Thanks again!

You could always unhook all your speakers except the sub and see if you can hear anything. You would also have to make sure all your speakers are set as large.

Sony receivers have, or at least used to have a LFE meter on the front. That is a very easy way to tell if there is LFE information being sent to the sub.

todd, I think what this ignorant sack wants to believe is that there is no LFE content in that scene which is just ridiculous having talked to about 12 people on msn and on forums. Why in the hell would they send a bass signal 35 strong and extending to below 20hz in ONLY THE SURROUND CHANNELS. Obviously It doesnt make sense and i need someone to confirm it.

here is a link to the thread in the other forum at his request.

http://www.3dss-forums.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=Forum4&Number=137389&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=4

----------------

On 5/2/2004 9:18:57 AM Swerv wrote:

todd, I think what this ignorant sack wants to believe is that there is no LFE content in that scene which is just ridiculous having talked to about 12 people on msn and on forums. Why in the hell would they send a bass signal 35 strong and extending to below 20hz in ONLY THE SURROUND CHANNELS. Obviously It doesnt make sense and i need someone to confirm it.

----------------

Well, I wasn't going to, but after reading this and your other thread, I had to see for myself. First of all, it isn't totally out of the question that they would have a 20-35hz signal in the "surround channels" (by the way, when you say surround channels, most people assume you are talking about the rear speakers). So anyway, I didn't really care whether there was LFE in this scene or not, but since your debate got so heated in the other forum, I decided to go through the task of testing it for myself. I was hoping to prove you wrong, since the other guy (Pace) seems to understand Surround sound and Dolby Digital encoding better than you, but alas, I cannot.

I switched all the speakers on my Denon AVR-4802 to Large, and the Subwoofer to "Yes" and disconnected my speakers, except for the sub. I played the scene back, and although there was LFE in that scene, there was VERY LITTLE. When she breaks the cop's arm and hits him in the face there is some LFE. At the moment that she jumps in the air there is some, but when she is floating in mid-air there is virtually no LFE whatsoever, until the moment she kicks him. I don't have a meter to check how much LFE is in the scene, I am just going by ear, but I'd have to say that if you are talking about the time between when she jumps and when she kicks the guy, I'd say Pace is right. If he is saying there is no LFE whatsoever in the scene, then I'd say you are right.

The point is, there is hardly any LFE in that scene, but lots of Bass. If you re-direct bass from the main speakers to your sub, your sub will be very active at that point. But if you have your sub playing only the LFE, the point at which there is the most bass in that scene, the sub is quiet, almost silent.

I See your point and his point now. It seems we got confused as to which specific parts, as I should of listed the part wherei t his 35 hz is at the very end of the scene right when she kicks him from being up in the air, So i guess technically we are both right. BTW the screenshot I took in spectra plus shows bass down to bellow 20hz. I doubt most surround sound speakers could reproduce this which is Why I got worked up over him saying there is no LFE in that scene.

Thanks for double checking. I'll be more clear next time as to which exact time in the movie I was refering too, I would have included a screenshot of the dvd in the background but it seems the video-overlay would not allow that.