It has probably been asked before i'll ask anyways

Swerv

I'm considering a 10-12inch sub for music and HT, will probably start off with some midsized bookshelves, nothing too expensive as I'm on a college budget. I already have a good idea of what I'm after for the books but I have no experience with either the HSU or SVS subs , obviously I know they are very compeditive and offer excellent performance price ratio.

Problem is, you guessed it, I cant audition them anywhere near me that I know of. I was considering entry level SVS and an equally priced HSU, however I'm also open to other bargains, I'm after Slam, precision, palpability and depth ( if thats at all even possible in an sub priced at this range)

Perhaps one of you can guide me in which direction, or maybe the sub Human theEAR has an idea of what I can pick up here in ottawa Canada that might be a good value without breaking my bank.

Sub wise I'd have to recommend the pw-2100. This is probably one of the best price to performance ratio 10" subs out there. It has great quality output to below 30hz. Would mate very well with any bookshelf speaker. For 500 dollars canadian, I can't think of a better deal. SVS should be out of the question considering the hefty tax, shipping, and brokerage fees. It ends up being close to double the listed price on the SVS website.

As for bookshelves, lots to choose from here: Klipsch RB-5, Paradigm Studio 20, Dynaudio Audience 42, Totem Mites. Then a little bit higher in the price range:

Klipsch RB-75, Pardigm Signature S2, Dynaudio 52 and 52 Special Edition, Totem Signature Model 1... the list goes on.

I'm Dynaudio biased so I would recommend the 42, 52, and 52se. In fact, I would take the 42 over any Klipsch bookshelf. I truly believe the 42 is one of the best in that price range. For its size, you wouldn't believe the bass it is capable of as well as soundstage. Over here in Toronto, the 42 can be had for about $900 CAD with some bargaining.

-UP

Thats a very good price on the 42s. Ive only heard dynaudio once but i was definately blown away. However do they not require (crave) very expensive electronics? You see I might not be able to get everything all at once, perhaps amp/books first follwed up later by the sub. Maybe since EAR is in montreal, he might know of a good sub for cheap canadian bucks.

Like any speaker, better electronics will definitely improve the sound. It doesn't have to cost a lot. When I had the 52 special editions, for a while I was just using them with an 80 watt Denon receiver. And it worked fine, sounded really good too. Then when I switched over to my Arcam Integrated, even though it was less power, the sound quality just improved that much more. Now I'm running my s1.4 off of the Arcam. The newer Dynaudio speakers are less power hungry than the older ones, but better quality power and source will definitely benefit it.

swerv,

i have heard the 22-31PCi ( i had it before i returned it for the + version)... but from what i heard - it was really good. the bass was tight, distortion-free into the utmost highest levels allowable before my dorm collapses... i felt that it was very musical - blended with my speakers real well and had the ability to be turned up for down low movie bass.

however, i know that it would cost about an extra $200 to have it shipped to canada... so u may want to go with something else. hsu is opening up a factory in canada i hear... maybe u want to check out their vtf-2 or stf-3.